chimney pipe discoloration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

flathead68

Oct 24, 2023
I've never had or used a chimney before. Last year was my first year. I used it maybe 6-7 days in total. I recently had a company come over to sweep/inspect it in preparation for this winter.
He saw the discoloration on my chimney and told me it's not safe to use. He said the discoloration means there was a fire in the chimney.
He said I have to have it all replaced. After doing reading online, it's got me questioning his opinion but as I said, I know nothing about this.
(I don't remember what the chimney looked like previous to last winter)

Any opinions?

Thank you

Chimney 1.jpgchimney 2.jpg

Is the bottom section hooked to the T discolored? I see the temper colors running on the second section.

Some of it looks like rust staining some looks like it's from heat. But even if it has had a chimney fire in it that doesn't mean its unsafe. It may be but the only way to know is with a camera inspection

Sure seems like a lot of rust for one year old. Is the tee section galvanized?

Reactions: kborndale
Me personally.. Id get a second opinion on the chimney.. That T looks suspect. Looks like its galvanized. The other thing that I dont see is any warping of the siding. If your stove pipe had a fire and turned blue like that Id look for signs of high heat against the house.. Im no expert.. but thats what Id be looking for.. You also can get on that roof yourself pull the cap off and look.. no harm in that..

Me personally.. Id get a second opinion on the chimney.. That T looks suspect. Looks like its galvanized. The other thing that I dont see is any warping of the siding. If your stove pipe had a fire and turned blue like that Id look for signs of high heat against the house.. Im no expert.. but thats what Id be looking for.. You also can get on that roof yourself pull the cap off and look.. no harm in that..
I thank you for your input, but I had to laugh at your last sentence.
Me get on the roof, no harm in that you say?!?!?! lolol, yeah that ain't happening, I can't go past the third step in the ladder.
But seriously, thanks for your time and input. I'll call another company and get a second opinion.

Does the T have a clean out you can remove and look up?