Chimney Pipe ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Alaska1

Sep 22, 2016
Interior Alaska
I was rummaging around and found some class A chimney that is in great shape but I can not find the type that it is and hoping someone here can help me out. It appears to be a Selkirk brand but not sure which one. It is very similar to the Metalbestos SS II pipe but will not connect to it. It fits perfectly on the SS II pipe but the screw down portions do not mate enough to keep it together. I took measurements and all are very similar. Notice the difference in the shape of the male portion, a little more square rather than tapered, on the female end the inner sleeve is slightly longer.

Got any ideas..... Also the metalbestos SS II pipe .... is that SuperVent. With all the different brands I get confused on what is what. I really thought Selkirk pipe was Selkirk pipe did not know they had different types that would not fit together

Thanks

I was rummaging around and found some class A chimney that is in great shape but I can not find the type that it is and hoping someone here can help me out. It appears to be a Selkirk brand but not sure which one. It is very similar to the Metalbestos SS II pipe but will not connect to it. It fits perfectly on the SS II pipe but the screw down portions do not mate enough to keep it together. I took measurements and all are very similar. Notice the difference in the shape of the male portion, a little more square rather than tapered, on the female end the inner sleeve is slightly longer.

Got any ideas..... Also the metalbestos SS II pipe .... is that SuperVent. With all the different brands I get confused on what is what. I really thought Selkirk pipe was Selkirk pipe did not know they had different types that would not fit together

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 130
IMG_0214.JPG Bottom is SS II pipeIMG_0215.JPG Left pipe in question IMG_0217.JPG SS II pipeIMG_0213.JPG SS II pipe

Attachments

• IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0216.JPG
    IMG_0216.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0216.JPG
    IMG_0216.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 107
Selkirk Metalbestos manufactures several types of pipe, SSII, SS, Ultra Temp, and Sure Temp, all are interchangeable.
They also made a K series (only in 7") and Super Vent.
Super Vent is sold at some Big Box stores and looks the same, but will not fit onto their other pipes. Your pictures showed SSII, so the other pipe could be the Super Vent, and that is why it may not connect. Some of the other manufactures like Dura Tech also look similar but will not connect.
If you need Selkirk Tech support - 800-669-3190

Best I can tell it is super vent from lowes most likely. But now they are not carrying some of the parts I need.

Gonna ask this for food for thought.

Since it fits but does not lock but after checking inside appears to seam up inside as well as the SS II. Why could I not just fabricate some very wide locking bands to keep it and the wall support it top and bottom. In that section. It would only be one section where this would occur. I have enough after that to make it work. Pipe is in excellent shape.

Also I live where code is not an issue BUT. Safety is to me. Also this is going to be a oil heater chimney. I got it who knows what could get hooked to it but just seems that if it seams up nicely with the other pipe why that would not work.

Thoughts. Flaming darts.

I think you will find that most everyone here will offer up solutions that are on the safe side and by Code, and telling you to make a "questionable" repair, probably will not happen. The locking mechanism on the pipe is there for a reason, and should not be ignored. I'm hoping that your question will not be answered with an unapproved solution.