Chimney Pipe Inner Wall Bent At Joint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

frederico265

Dec 1, 2018
New York
I have a through the wall class A chimney pipe for my wood stove. Last year I noticed the inner wall at the 2 joints was bent up a little. I took the pipe down to investigate before burning this year. My question is should I replace these 2 pipes?

897EC4AA-2B21-47FD-BC6C-26F66E5A4BC6.jpeg BBE8243E-F004-46F4-95A5-1DE0D3CC41EC.jpeg

Looks like the lip could be straightened out carefully with broad jaw pliers like electrician's pliers.

Looks like the lip could be straightened out carefully with broad jaw pliers like electrician's pliers.
The second piece that I posted isn’t as bent and doesn’t appear to have soot/creosote on the outside of the lip. The first piece has soot and discoloration on the outside of the lip. How important is an airtight chimney? I can bend it back but the seal won’t be factory.

image.jpg

If you want peace of mind and don't want to have to take this apart again, then replace.

Reactions: moresnow
I ended up replacing the one and saved the other. Thanks for the advice.
What are you using to clean your chimney? It looks like your brush may be catching edges

What are you using to clean your chimney? It looks like your brush may be catching edges
I thought that also. I use a poly brush with fiberglass rods. I have two 30 degrees elbows to go around the roof edge. I can only get the brush past one elbow at a time without jamming it down. So I do the top from the roof then the rest from the bottom clean out. I don’t think I’m being too rough to cause damage. I was looking at trying the soot eater out to see if I can get past those elbows from the ground. I hate going on the roof.