chimney pipe thru roof-does it need to be double-wall above roof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brider

Jun 13, 2008
New Haven, CT
Planning the chimney assembly for my new Harmon Oakwood, I bought a ceiling kit for my vaulted ceiling, and intend to use double-wall stainless from stove up to ceiling.

Do I need to also use double-wall pipe above the roof? Or is that a function of the ceiling kit; if it accomodates double-wall below, maybe it requires double-wall above? OR, is it a draft issue, the temp gradient from double-to-single causing weird draft problems?

Since DW stainless is $$, just wondering if I can get away with single-wall above the roof

You can use double wall or single wall connector pipe between the ceiling and stove depending on your application and clearances. Once to the ceiling you must transition to class A (expensive) stainless material and go all the way to the chimney cap with it.

Your interior double wall connector pipe is indeed made of stainless on the inside but it is not expensive at all compared to the class A stainless stuff which is shiny on the outside. Interior single wall is not stainless and is very cheap.

My interior double wall connector pipe between stove and ceiling is a single slip joint from simpson and was about 150$ for the telescoping section that is extended to about 5'.

OK, I'm kinda confused:

What you're referring to as the "connector pipe" is the exposed interior pipe running from the stove up to the ceiling? Is that correct?

I am using double-wall stainless ($$, but worth it in the long run) for that portion.

Now, are you saying I NEED to run DW from the ceiling up to the "chimney cap", which I assume is the very top of the pipe above my shingles?

brider said:
OK, I'm kinda confused:

What you're referring to as the "connector pipe" is the exposed interior pipe running from the stove up to the ceiling? Is that correct?

I am using double-wall stainless ($$, but worth it in the long run) for that portion.

Now, are you saying I NEED to run DW from the ceiling up to the "chimney cap", which I assume is the very top of the pipe above my shingles?

I think you may have your assembly backwards, but could be misunderstanding what you are trying to say. Can you call out the specific parts you want to use and their location from say the Simpson DuraVent catalog or from www.ventingpipe.com?

Note : Simpson and other piping companies like Selkirk have excellent online guides and downloadable pdf docs on how to install a flue and what parts are used depending on the type of installation.

It is required that you use 103HT double wall insulated pipe above the ceiling. Here is a picture of what your setup should look like.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 3,244
Status
Not open for further replies.