Chimney pipe vs Stove Pipe (total new guy question)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Riddle

Oct 17, 2010
Eastern KY
New guy here and new to wood burning .. (my family burned wood for heat when I was a young boy but I have never heated with wood so I am trying to learn as I go).

I have been gathering items needed to install a second hand wood stove (2015 Magnolia from US Stove).

I bought a kit from SELKIRK that has an 18" HT pipe with the supporting arms to go through the slightly vaulted ceiling of our mobile home with a tin roof.

41Af-AUxGkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I am told that same pipe is best to be the exernal chimney, but can I also use that stainless pipe below the joint to connect to the stove itself ?

Would an uninsulated stove pipe be a better choice ?

Thanks
Mike

Welcome to the joy that is wood burning. Is your stove mobile home approved? Do a search here for mobile home installations as I believe there are more safety concerns in those applications.

Though you can use Class A (stainless steel) UL 103 HT pipe as your connector pipe, it's pretty pricey and most don't run it from the stove to the support box. Knowing that you are undertaking a mobile home installation, please carefully read the stove's manual. Most, if not all, mobile home installations require: double wall connector/stove pipe (this is black pipe with an inner stainless steel section) rather than single wall connector/stove pipe; greater clearances to combustibles (CTCs); outside air kit (OAK); the stove unit to be bolted to the floor.

Again, be sure to read your stove's manual and all other relevant manufacturers' manuals (stove pipe, chimney pipe, etc.).

Thanks for the quick responses and advice !

Yes my stove is mobile home approved with double wall pipe and the outside air kit which I will install.

I have checked and will exceed the clearance to combustibles by 50%.

I was just checking to be sure that the exterior type of pipe would be as safe in use and not cause any issues. The difference in cost was about $30 and I preferred not having a joint inside (1 @ 3' and 1 @ 1' for a 4' total).

The only "issue" I would foresee would be connecting the Class A to the flue collar on the stove. I'm not sure if Class A will mate to the flue collar or not. You'll find that most manufacturers tell you to put 3 screws per connection. Not saying you can put a screw into Class A, as I am not a dealer/installer, but it is something to consider. I would personally go with double wall connector/stove pipe and meet or exceed all the CTCs. Anyway, food for thought. Additionally, I'm fond of the black connector pipe matching the black stove. :lol:

I don't see how the difference in price between double wall stove pipe and Class A stainless chimney to the ceiling could only be $30???

Pagey said:
The only "issue" I would foresee would be connecting the Class A to the flue collar on the stove. I'm not sure if Class A will mate to the flue collar or not. You'll find that most manufacturers tell you to put 3 screws per connection. Not saying you can put a screw into Class A, as I am not a dealer/installer, but it is something to consider. I would personally go with double wall connector/stove pipe and meet or exceed all the CTCs. Anyway, food for thought. Additionally, I'm fond of the black connector pipe matching the black stove. :lol:

I may end up going the stove pipe route if I can't get the Class A to mate to the stove.

My flue kit came with a connector for black stove pipe so I will have that option.

If I could use it I was planning to paint the outside of it flat black with high temp paint.

sixman said:
I don't see how the difference in price between double wall stove pipe and Class A stainless chimney to the ceiling could only be $30???

From memory .. I was comparing the cost of one 4' joint of Class A stainless about $100 to one 3' and one 1' section of the black double wall at about $65-70. Was ACE HARDWARE on-line.

I must have been taken then because my class A double wall was way more than $100 a stick.

There are two types of double wall, essentially: double wall stove/connector pipe (the black stuff), and double wall Class A, which should be UL 103 HT rated (usually this is stainless steel). Both have a stainless steel interior. The double wall connector/stove pipe has a CTC of 6" and has an outer, black layer of pipe with a small air gap between it and internal, stainless layer. This air gap serves as insulation. Class A UL 103 HT has a 1" layer of solid insulation (usually) around each side (for a total of 2", which is why an 8" outer diameter Class A will have a 6" inner diameter). It has a 2" CTC.

That is about what I paid for mine from Aubuchon (like Ace)

Class A pipe is very ugly and huge. The Class A I installed was something like 10" O.D.

I Would recommend an adjustable piece of double wall pipe (not class A) for inside the house.

I paid 100$ for a piece that was adjustable between 6' and 3' from my local stove shop.

Backpack09 said:
That is about what I paid for mine from Aubuchon (like Ace)

Class A pipe is very ugly and huge. The Class A I installed was something like 10" O.D.

I Would recommend an adjustable piece of double wall pipe (not class A) for inside the house.

I paid 100$ for a piece that was adjustable between 6' and 3' from my local stove shop.

I was wondering if the class A on the inside would be some safer than the double wall non-class A

As long as you follow all clearances, you'll be fine with double wall stove pipe. It's a good product and it's tested to meet standards.

Pagey said:
As long as you follow all clearances, you'll be fine with double wall stove pipe. It's a good product and it's tested to meet standards.

I ordered the doublewall smoke pipe.

I guess the length needed to be just at 4 feet. ..

If I am wrong, can the double wall pipe be shortened ?

Finally .. install is done !!!

I went with the Selkirk double wall smoke pipe from the chimney to the stove.

Used a thick collar stove adaptor on my US Stove Magnolia 2015.

Went together with just a little bit of metal taken off the bottom pipe.

Snug as a bug.

Now it is low 40s outside.

Furnace has been off for a few hours.

Very warm in here.

I appreciate all the advice (and all the posts I read before I ever posted myself).

Gonna like this wood heat thing.

Glad to hear you are up and running. How about posting some pics? We love wood/stove pr0n around here.

Need pictures, it is like a drug, love seeing other's install pics.

MRiddle said:
Finally .. install is done !!!

Gonna like this wood heat thing.

Pictures or it didn't happen. ;-)

Well I have a few finishing touches left to do before it is totally done.

I want to frame in the stones that I used for the hearth with some hardwood edging of some sort.

I have a collar to install on the upper end of the smoke pipe to cover the crimping.

But here is an oversize photo taken in a darkened room to try and show the fire.

I will replace with a smaller photo later (have company at the moment).

41ccb1ee.jpg

"Pic was taken during black-out conditions during a Lunar eclipse"

:)

Yea but do ya believe that I have a stove now??

I don't know.. looks like one them "bigfoot" pictures...

LOOK!! over there.. did you see THAT??? ahh it's gone now.. you could just see it's eyes glowing in the dark...

Or maybe "Nessie"..

:)

97511d90.jpg

Well, that's better . . .

Dang nice install!! I like the over sized hearth. No "can an ember jump 20 yards and catch my floor of stone on fire!"

Status
Not open for further replies.