Chimney Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hillstomper

Aug 29, 2020
South Dakota
I am installing an Pacific Energy Super 27 Wood stove. Where I am placing this stove my single wall black pipe will need to go up for 4' then 45 degrees for 12" and then straight up for 8' before going out the roof. I have looked in the manual but I do not see anything that says this cannot be done with this stove. Advise please!
Thank you

That's not a problem. It's strongly recommended to use double-wall stove pipe for runs over 8' long. Be sure to use 3 screws per pipe joint.

The stove should be the source of heat, not the stove pipe. Long runs of stove pipe will cool down the flue gases significantly. That reduces draft and increases the opportunity for creosote build-up in the flue system.

How many sq ft will you be heating with the stove?

Reactions: hillstomper
The stove should be the source of heat, not the stove pipe. Long runs of stove pipe will cool down the flue gases significantly. That reduces draft and increases the opportunity for creosote build-up in the flue system.

How many sq ft will you be heating with the stove?
Maybe 1000
500 where the stove is and 500 above

The Super 27 should have no problem heating that space with good dry wood.

Reactions: hillstomper
Normally no. Mixing the two types is not recommended or commonly done.
FWIW, we have a 45 offset as described on our stove. The entire run is double-wall.