Chimney placement questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dahluwalia

Oct 2, 2023
Western Maryland
We have a rancher that had a two story addition one side,now it's like a split level. We want to put a wood stove on the end of the rancher.The rancher part is 40ft long till it hurts up th the 2 story addition.My question is how high does the chimney have to be? Does it need to be higher than the 2 story addition ,or is it far enough that it only has to clear the one story . And if it needs to clear the 2 story is it possible to secure a stack standing that tall?

The 2 story addition sounds like it will be greater than 10ft and therefore too far away. The 10-3-2 rule is what applies to the new chimney.

10-3-2 rule.JPG

However, putting the chimney on the 1 story end may create problems depending on the house and prevailing winds. If the prevailing winds blow up against the 2 story section they may create a positive pressure zone above the 1 story chimney that ruins draft. Another issue can happen if there is any air leakage in the new 2 story addition, it may pull air from the 1 story section and reverse draft.

Thanks,I was thinking the second story would be far enough with the 10 ft rule but wasn't sure as it has to be inspected.But I surly i never thought for ones about a possible draft issue. Any way to test or fix such issue? This is the best and easier placement, after this things get complicated expensive and out of my hands

Pay attention to the prevailing winds. If they most blow against the 2 story side, that is helpful. Definitely plan on the stove having an outside air supply and try to give it a 15' flue.