Chimney Pulling Away from House and Loose/Detached

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Okay so I just called back the original guy that found the chimney was leaning. I like him, my mason friend has moved and does not live as close to me anymore. So he hasn't put his eyes or hands on the situation. I asked the sweep that came out (that put hands and eyes on it) to give me his honest opinion. He said to tear it down. He said that, I could probably push it over with my hands. He said he would send me an estimate to do class A pipe as a replacement.
Ok but you could push over most chimneys over with your hands.

Reactions: Hexa Fox
I hate being on video but here it is. I must admit it was definitely moving more when he shook it than me. So it must 'feel like' it is moving more than it is. Let me know what you guys think though.

Yeah that's on par with what the majority of chimneys will do.

Ok, now that's we've seen the movement i dont think it's as big of a deal as you led on. I'd maybe do some bracing, if that'll make you sleep better at night, using some of the pipe strapping i suggested and dont worry about it. It still needs some TLC but it's sound.

Ok, now that's we've seen the movement i dont think it's as big of a deal as you led on. I'd maybe do some bracing, if that'll make you sleep better at night, using some of the pipe strapping i suggested and dont worry about it. It still needs some TLC but it's sound.
He honestly must have shook it much harder than me. Because when I was in the same place as the camera there was definitely more movement. Bracing will definitely make me sleep better at night. If anyone has any thoughts on that process please let me know. I cannot find any decorative bands like bholler mentioned. I cannot find anything for that matter.

My thoughts were to take a perforated square tube that sticks out on both sides of the chimney and run threaded metal rod through the holes. Then obviously bring them into my attic and somehow secure them to the structure.

He honestly must have shook it much harder than me. Because when I was in the same place as the camera there was definitely more movement. Bracing will definitely make me sleep better at night. If anyone has any thoughts on that process please let me know. I cannot find any decorative bands like bholler mentioned. I cannot find anything for that matter.

My thoughts were to take a perforated square tube that sticks out on both sides of the chimney and run threaded metal rod through the holes. Then obviously bring them into my attic and somehow secure them to the structure.
Oh you aren't going to find them anywhere it's custom made stuff then I have it powder coated

If it was mine, I would pick up some stainless or aluminum angle. I would then drill a hole through the gable end wall on either side of the chimney lined up with the tip of the floor joists (assuming an unfinished attic) I would attach these angles to the top of the floor joists after making sure that the two angles stick out past the outer face of the chimney. I would then cut a third piece of angle to run between the two that are sticking out and install a bolt connecting the third piece at both ends. I would then install some silicon caulking between the angles and the chimney brick and be done with it. Paint is optional with stainless or aluminum. It does not need be very large 3/4" by 3/4" inch angle has plenty of tensile strength.