Chimney Question: Animal Guard?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jonross14

Oct 10, 2016
Rockland Co, NY
Hey everyone! I am an occasional burner (3-4x per week from November-April) of a Lopi wood flush insert. A few days ago, I heard a rattling just above the baffle of my stove consistent with an animal. After about 18 hours the animal wrangled itself passed the baffle and down into the fire box. It was a bird, heavily injured. We were able to remove it and bring it to an animal hospital.

This is the first time in the four years we've lived in this house that an animal has come into our stove. We have two chimneys on our house - the one with the stove has a small pipe top above the chimney with a rain guard, but no animal guard. Our other chimney, which vents natural gas for our furnace and water heater, does have an animal guard. Our chimney sweep recommended getting an animal guard for our wood stove chimney, but he said that he'd have to remove the pipe and install a standard animal guard and rain guard, like my other chimney has.

My question is: Is there a reason that the previous homeowner has the small pipe coming out of the chimney installed for the wood stove, and without an animal guard? If I removed that and put on a traditional animal guard and rain guard would that be an issue? I am a bit of a newbie at this, especially when it comes to the chimney itself. Let me know if you think I should leave it the way it is and hope no other animals come in, have the chimney sweep install the traditional cover, or some other solution? I have added pictures by the way for your reference.

EDIT: It may look like from the picture that my wood stove chimney is very short, it's just the angle. It's being partially blocked by the top of the roof.

Thank you all!

Attachments

• Wood Stove Chimney.jpg
    Wood Stove Chimney.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Animal Guard Chimney.jpg
    Animal Guard Chimney.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 90
Looks like you could add a guard (3/4" expanded metal) to the existing cap.

Any mesh screen can build up creosote, but if you only burn dry wood and don't smolder a fire then the likelihood of creosote buildup on a 3/4" screen is small. It's a common mesh size, simple and can be held in place with a large stainless hose clamp. Not sure what he meant by not enough clearance at the top of the cap. Something like this might also work.

Any mesh screen can build up creosote, but if you only burn dry wood and don't smolder a fire then the likelihood of creosote buildup on a 3/4" screen is small. It's a common mesh size, simple and can be held in place with a large stainless hose clamp. Not sure what he meant by not enough clearance at the top of the cap. Something like this might also work.

Thank you, that does look helpful!

Just wondering on the flip side, if I do go with installing the taller mesh and have my chimney guy remove the pipe, is there a problem with that? Or is the pipe necessary?

Thank you, that does look helpful!

Just wondering on the flip side, if I do go with installing the taller mesh and have my chimney guy remove the pipe, is there a problem with that? Or is the pipe necessary?
The pipe runs down and connects to your insert. It is needed

You say it’s been several years and just got one bird. I would wait and see if this keeps happening. There are drawbacks to those screens in the flue path, they hurt draft and are a maintenance item even if you do burn properly.

Maybe it’s best to just go up there and block the chimney in the spring, unblock before burn season.

Maybe that bird learned his lesson and will warn the others.