Chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pjohnson

Burning Hunk
Oct 2, 2013
ive got an 8 inch metalbestoes chimney that clears the peak of my roof by maybe 4 or 5 feet. When the wind was right the smoke would follow the roof down and come in a window. I went to buy another section of pipe and it had to be ordered and was around 400 dollars. He suggested to try a regular piece of stove pipe and see if it worked before spending money on the right pipe. I did and it works great no more smoke smell. So my question is what’s the down side to leaving the section of stove pipe in there.

Because it's connector pipe, not insulated Class A chimney, it will cool the flue gasses causing even more creosote deposits than would be there with Class A.
Another problem may be that your insurance would refuse to pay in case of a fire, since the chimney is not installed according to the stove and chimney manufacturers' instructions.
$400 sounds kinda steep for adding 4', but maybe not once you add up the liner-to-Class A adapter, 8", chimney and bracing you might need, plus labor. Did he give you an itemized estimate? Could you do it yourself?

Thanks for reply kinda of my thoughts with the creosote and cooling. I’ll be installing a new stove this weekend so I’ll try removing it. If not I’ll look online and order it. I can install it my self probably have to brace it if I go any higher. This 8 inch pipe is getting hard to find in any stores.