Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Miller.drew

Sep 5, 2022
CT
Good evening all,
We are first time homebuyers and new to wood stoves. We just bought 4 cords of wood and have a few questions below.

Our existing chimney looked a little funky, so we investigated and found a 8” pipe fit over a 6” chimney. Pictures attached. Does this look code compliant, or did they sheath the existing chimney to extend the height of the existing chimney? I just want to make sure that when we have our first fire, that we don’t burn down the house!

The existing interior ceiling box is “metal fab”, so I would the exterior pipe is as well.

B0C61D6A-5C94-43A2-86BF-AD418699802B.jpeg B9D01246-6447-4DF9-B1F7-46D211D63CBB.jpeg

Good evening all,
We are first time homebuyers and new to wood stoves. We just bought 4 cords of wood and have a few questions below.

Our existing chimney looked a little funky, so we investigated and found a 8” pipe fit over a 6” chimney. Pictures attached. Does this look code compliant, or did they sheath the existing chimney to extend the height of the existing chimney? I just want to make sure that when we have our first fire, that we don’t burn down the house!

The existing interior ceiling box is “metal fab”, so I would the exterior pipe is as well.

View attachment 298704 View attachment 298705
The 6" chimney looks reasonably good from what we can see. But you should really have a full inspection done to check it all

Reactions: Hoytman
the attached for some reason did not upload. The inner pipe ends, then the outer pipe extends another 2 feet (?). Does that seem right?
I will have to search around for more inspectors. Everyone is telling me they are booked.

D5D0D465-324E-4082-BB50-C079D2028405.jpeg

The outer pipe is absolutely wrong

On another note, your wood if just bought, may not (at all) be dry enough to burn (cleanly, and efficiently) this season.

I'd spend $30 on a moisture meter.

What stove or insert do you have?

Reactions: kborndale
the attached for some reason did not upload. The inner pipe ends, then the outer pipe extends another 2 feet (?). Does that seem right?
I will have to search around for more inspectors. Everyone is telling me they are booked.

View attachment 298706
There seems to be a person in your chimney lol

On another note, your wood if just bought, may not (at all) be dry enough to burn (cleanly, and efficiently) this season.

I'd spend $30 on a moisture meter.

What stove or insert do you have?
We bought it locally and they were recommended from a friend, I will buy a meter to confirm.

We have a Jotul F400 Castine.

The ceiling box is a Metal Fab, and the chimney pipe appears to be as well. Could I buy a 4’ section to extend the existing?

Reactions: stoveliker
We bought it locally and they were recommended from a friend, I will buy a meter to confirm.

We have a Jotul F400 Castine.

The ceiling box is a Metal Fab, and the chimney pipe appears to be as well. Could I buy a 4’ section to extend the existing?

The chance that the wood is ready to use is slim to none, especially if this is a modern stove. When you get the moisture meter be sure to check it on a freshly resplit piece. (At room temp if it is cold out by the time you get the meter). Those 4 cords will probably be good for the winter of 23-24.

Regarding the wood moisture, this is not (only, heh) a supercommitted fringe thing - we see a lot of new users be disappointed, frustrated, thinking the (often new) stove is a bad design, etc., when it is the wood moisture content that causes the issues.

It is best to burn wood that's below 25% moisture content (as measured after letting the split get to room temp, and then resplitting it so you can measure in the center of the split, along the grain, as noted by kborndale).

Therefore, it would be good to get a second load at the end of this winter, to stack it off the ground (and cover it), that will then be ready for the 24-25 season.

Here is a good thread about burning this stove: