Chimney repair quote is $20k, thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

polymorpha

Sep 27, 2019
Southern California
Hello all,
This is my first post here, so I'll do my best to explain. My offer was accepted on a house in the Los Angeles area and all inspections went well except for the brick chimney. The major problem in the report is this:
"Displaced bricks and easy movement below roofline at bond beam located just below roofline" see picture, it was taken by the inspector. To show me the issue, he gently pushed the chimney while standing on the roof and I could see it move a bit.

Here's the quote I got from the inspector's company:

-Rebuild chimney according to city specifications for damaged chimneys, leaving original firebox and
installing UL Listed Class A flue pipe. City inspectors signing off on every required phase of construction.
-Remove chimney down to the top of the smoke chamber
-Supply scaffolding and roof protection if needed
-Protect interior and exterior areas as needed
-Form bond beam and special order transition with anchor plate
-Use Class A HT flue pipe system per city requirements
-Steel stud framing 18 ga.
-Strap all pipe per code
-Lath and stucco exterior chimney chase -from new construction up to termination. Scratch, brown and
color. No guarantee on an exact match of texture and color.
-Galvanized metal chase cover and manufacturers termination cap/arrester
-Fire stop assembly where needed- install fire stops / draft stops at required levels as per code
-Brace (single or double) if city request it
-Parge coat smoke chamber with hi-temp material
-Chimney roof tie in directly around the chimney. "L" metal flashing.

Price: $19,723.00
Is this accurate? I'm getting more quotes today, but this seems super high to me and I'd love some feedback if possible. I also am trying to get credits from seller regardless. Thanks!
Chimney above roof line.jpg

Do you want a fireplace here? If so, do you want a wood burning device? Do you insist on the aesthetic of a brick fireplace and chimney outside above the roof as well as inside?

Complete removal of that pile of bricks will be much cheaper, safer, and a better solution unless you insist on the look of masonry.

Gas fireplaces with no actual chimney but just a wall outlet can be a viable option and preferable in urban areas. Earthquakes, roof leaks, further degradation, I would get rid of that masonry thing.

Certainly use this as a negotiating tool but then once you own it, the costs can be quite different.

Reactions: Sodbuster
Hello all,
This is my first post here, so I'll do my best to explain. My offer was accepted on a house in the Los Angeles area and all inspections went well except for the brick chimney. The major problem in the report is this:
"Displaced bricks and easy movement below roofline at bond beam located just below roofline" see picture, it was taken by the inspector. To show me the issue, he gently pushed the chimney while standing on the roof and I could see it move a bit.

-Rebuild chimney according to city specifications for damaged chimneys, leaving original firebox and
installing UL Listed Class A flue pipe. City inspectors signing off on every required phase of construction.
-Strap all pipe per code
-Lath and stucco exterior chimney chase -from new construction up to termination. Scratch, brown and
-Fire stop assembly where needed- install fire stops / draft stops at required levels as per code

Is this accurate? I'm getting more quotes today, but this seems super high to me and I'd love some feedback if possible. I also am trying to get credits from seller regardless. Thanks!
View attachment 248227

I am no expert, but Just from Reading, 20,000 US Dollars for a chimney repair?

Here in Germany, where specialized construction trades are very expensive, it is possible to build a brand new brick chimney from scratch for somewhere around that price.

Maybe it could be a good idea indeed to check a handful of quotes, I once had a renewing of the plumping done - first quote given to me was crazy, second was much better.. the first craftsman was trying to rip me off, luckily I have sent him on his way and looked for another offer from another, professional but a bit more fair craftsman.

IMHO there is nothing is better looking than a real brick chimney, but if the price to build one is not reasonable than that’s another story.

Maybe I am wrong, my 2c

Do you want a fireplace here? If so, do you want a wood burning device? Do you insist on the aesthetic of a brick fireplace and chimney outside above the roof as well as inside?

Complete removal of that pile of bricks will be much cheaper, safer, and a better solution unless you insist on the look of masonry.

Gas fireplaces with no actual chimney but just a wall outlet can be a viable option and preferable in urban areas. Earthquakes, roof leaks, further degradation, I would get rid of that masonry thing.

Certainly use this as a negotiating tool but then once you own it, the costs can be quite different.
I do like the look and also like woodburning fires, but at this price I'd rather it be just safe for cheaper.

I am no expert, but Just from Reading, 20,000 US Dollars for a chimney repair?

Here in Germany, where specialized construction trades are very expensive, it is possible to build a brand new brick chimney from scratch for somewhere around that price.

Maybe it could be a good idea indeed to check a handful of quotes, I once had a renewing of the plumping done - first quote given to me was crazy, second was much better.. the first craftsman was trying to rip me off, luckily I have sent him on his way and looked for another offer from another, professional but a bit more fair craftsman.

IMHO there is nothing is better looking than a real brick chimney, but if the price to build one is not reasonable than that’s another story.

Maybe I am wrong, my 2c
I'm getting more quotes. In CA, there are tons of regulations because of earthquakes, so makes sense that it would be pricier (everything here is), but this seems out of control. And for simply removing the brick and capping they quoted $7500. I don't even think you need much permitting to just remove bricks. These guys are highly rated online idk.

Hello all,

-Strap all pipe per code

View attachment 248227
THANK GOD...I DONT LIVE IN CALIFORNIA!!

Reactions: K-Mac
It's called a chimney repair, but it sounds like removal of the existing masonry structure and replacement with a new one. For California and all of the earthquake-related code requirements for a masonry chimney, that doesn't sound like a crazy price to me. It actually sounds pretty reasonable.

But if I lived in California, I wouldn't be taking down a masonry chimney and replacing it with a masonry chimney (earthquake issues). I would put a double-insulated pipe in a framed structure and stucco that structure for aesthetics or do some sort of faux masonry treatment to the outside of the structure.

Ask for a material and labor cost breakdown on all quotes. Be sure they include the time estimate and confirm it is reasonable and check their hourly rate.

that doesn't sound like a crazy price to me. It actually sounds pretty reasonable.
Sadly, you are right. I got quotes and the lowest was 18,500. I'm into this pipe idea though. It's not particularly important to me that it looks like a chimney from the outside, I just want to be able to use the fireplace.

• Wow
Reactions: K-Mac
Personally , never get a recommended contractor from any home inspectors ( their only job is to observe and report defects or anticapated future issues , and possible reccomedation for repair ) but never refer an individual or company . Additionally you should not be sharing the inspectors report with anyone ( how do you expect to get a different price or scope of work if you are telling people what another professional listed ? You should be calling qualified company's and asking them to come look at your chimney and HAVE THEM tell you what needs to be done ! Either every contractor will have the identical (INDEPENDENT) conclusion or they will be vastly different approaches and prices

Reactions: Highbeam
I'd get a quote to tear the whole thing down and rebuild with Class A SS Chimney. If you don't like the bare pipe look, have someone build a Cedar surround to cover the pipe, keeping the clearances in mind. Put a stove of your choice in the house, again paying attention to the clearances, and if you do the demolition yourself, your looking at way under $10,000, even in California closer to $5,000, and you'll have a safe functional fireplace that actually throws heat. Using a contractor your home inspection guy recommends is like buy prescription drugs from you Dr. He should only be there to tell you what's wrong, not to sell you repairs.

20 grand will buy a lot of gas/oil/electricity.

Some people like to be independent of the utilities, it's nice to know that no matter what happens your family will be warm.

Some people like to be independent of the utilities,
it's nice to know that no matter what happens your family will be warm.
Agreed, and I'm one of those people.
I personally just installed a new stove and
chimney set-up in my house for about $1,700.
That was doing all the work myself.
Lucky for me it's not rocket surgery.

Reactions: Sodbuster
As a So.Cal ex-patriot, I'd look into removing the chimney, not fixing it. Bricks and earthquake country do not mix. ( I have a friend who disabled their wood insert after a local earthquake caused costly damage to their exterior chimney.) The (in-door) burn season in the coastal areas is so short, it's arguably not worth having a wood stove or wood insert, not to mention contribution to outside air pollution. Perhaps go with a gas insert.

I think back to my parents' house with an open fireplace. It was more for entertainment (kids play with fire) and ambiance on the rare night we'd use it. My current awareness of wood smoke pollution makes me cringe at the thought of such fireplaces in the LA basin.

As a first time fireplace owner too, I think this is a reasonable price. I am in central IN, and we just paid ~$19k for tear out of a faulty stone chimney and 1980s version of an ZC insert, and replace with a wood chase and high efficiency ZC. We had 2 companies quote our job and were the same. So depending on how much you want to use it (ours is a heat source over electric), and like the style. I agree with others; removal and opting for a gas burning sounds to be a good option for your area; if you chose to keep a fire.