Chimney repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Aegis

Nov 11, 2020
Idaho
I've decided to install a wood insert for backup heat, have natural gas furnace. My masonry chimney hadn't been maintained prior to me buying the house and needs a few rows of bricks replaced along with a new crown at the cost of 12-1300. Problem is the weather has already turned and I'm worried about the concrete curing properly. Is there any reason I couldn't remove the 2 rows of bricks and then fab up and install a stainless chase cover and seal it? Would cut amd remove clay liner flush as I'll be installing a stainless liner and extending the liner with grade a 18-30"

Attachments

• 20181111_134042.jpg
    20181111_134042.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 20181111_170636.jpg
    20181111_170636.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 94
I am not a sweep nor a concrete guy, but a pretty well schooled DIY'r.

Keep in mind that if you pick a day when the temps get into the 40's or 50's you could probably pour the crown. The chimney is in the sun most of the day so that would give you a good 6 hours or so of sunlight to warm and set the concrete. Cover with plastic, you could even put a moving blanket on top to retain heat but I doubt that would do much. I see plenty of builders pour concrete for homes, offices and structures year round. This is not a structural item and it should be fine in a week of sun and wind imo.

Just keep from freezing for 24-48 hours.

My brother in law and my nephew are both brick layers and it’s interesting on the things they will spot as done incorrectly that don’t stick out to the untrained eye. I helped them haul some scaffolding to a chimney repair and he explained why the chimney failed and how to repair correctly so it would outlive the house. They do some weird stuff this time of year with the mortar and it has to meet strict requirements when they are working commercial.