Chimney requirements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jaheide

Feb 3, 2018
Minnesota
Here is my situation, when we brought our house,it had a wood stove in it, it was junk and I removed and trashed it, I just caped the hole, chimney is in great shape. I just got a pellet stove and wanted to hook it up where the wood stove was, when I went to get the adapter for the 6in down to 3in stockpile, I was told it won't work, that I need to put a 3in liner all the way up. Is this correct?

How long is the existing chimney?

I have 7 ft. of 3 in connected to 20 ft. of class A 6 in.
chimney that I run my exhaust through with out a
liner and have never had a problem .

I was told it wouldn't draft right, but told to try it and see, I have it all ready, just need to hook it in the chimney

Go for it. my set up is very similar. And been using it for 17 years

My Harman XXV is vented directly into a clay tile lined chimney which is topped with a simple rain cap. This method was one of the options in the XXV manual. No problems with the stove drafting.
I put the rain cap on the chimney as I've had a couple ducks fall into it. Have no idea why a chimney would attract ducks :confused: