Chimney smoke from a Vermont Castings Resolute?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulF

Nov 19, 2005
I have owned a Vermont Castings Encore (cat model) and now own a Resolute Acclaim (non cat model). Both stoves when burning in the efficient, damper closed, mode do not show any signs of smoke from the chimney that I can see.

I also have an old Vermont Castings Resolute, made about 1983. The previous owner said it quit working in the efficient mode. He used it in the damper open mode. I took it apart and found the right insert had an inside plate burned off, and the fireback had a few small cracks. The secondary air channel behind the fireback was full of ash. I replaced the right insert and the fireback.

I did the break-in fires and today tested it in damper closed mode. It seems to work well, but I did notice that I could see some smoke coming from the chimney. It is not much, but I do not have any previous experience with this model. If it is working properly in efficient mode, should I be able to see some signs of smoke?

PaulF

Hey paulF, I have heard recently that the Vermont Castings line of stoves quality has greatly deteriorated in recent years..Is this true or have you heard of this??

I bought a Vermont Castings Encore in 1997. I owned it until 2005 and had no problems with it.

I moved last year and the previous owner of my present house had used a Resolute. It gave some problems after 20 years, so he had installed a new Resolute Acclaim about 4 years ago. I have been running the Resolute Acclaim and am happy with it. I put some new parts in the old Acclaim, and it is running OK now as an auxillary woodstove on a seperate flue.

For your question about VC quality, I have not had any problems with them. I have seen other discussions about their quality. I remember some saying that some dealers had become unhappy with the service VC was providing to them, but I have no direct knowledge of this.

PaulF

Henz I have totally answered this issue. Did you not read my prior post? Remember not all of the 50, 000 plus stove manufactured each year had a problem less that 1%. The same cast molds are still being used. Its not like they re-invented the molds. Really if you want to overpay for another brand chineese junk that has " the name" go ahead. You want to finance more manufacturing jobs overseas that's ok. I'm an American and proud of buying American made products, proud to have save American Manufacturing Jobs. I do not mine spending a little more to help out a fellow American familly. and the few left in manufacturing in USA. Name one other company that vollenteered to donate their stoves to needy people threw hearthnet. Name one other company who picked up the phone, head of Foundry at Bethel opperations, that called Mo Heat and made arrangements to replace his stove. With the constant threat of your job being eliminated to oursoursing to China, do you think there is much margin for error? QC has never been better, yet you keep insisting ther is a problem. Please educate the poeple here with new factual info and not what we already know from the past. Base your claims on facts not hearsay.

Let's take this oppinion one step further. Say 1% problematic rate for Vc that's 500 stoves. For Harman that 23. What do you think you hear more from the 500 or 23? Harman has 15 workers. In Bethel VT about 175. There are more VC stoves in American homes than any other manufacturer. What about the 99% that had no problems? 49,500 compared to only 2277 harmans each year.
Which company has the cleanest burning wood stove ever tested by the EPA VC Defiant. Nobody here is twisting your arm making you buy a brand, that choice is entirely up to you

Back to the original question. The 1983 Resolute is pre EPA 1990. Even dampered down it cannot be compared to the EPA stove. I would think seeing some smoke is normal and to be expected. Good job in rebuilding your stove. These were very well made stoves proof being being able to replace parts and continue burning 23 years later

Ouch..Uh....Well...I have a very limited number of dealers (1) in the area for Vermont Casting. The biggest dealer I have heard nothing good about their service etc from many who have bought from them. So I ahve been having to branch out to just outside the area to see if another dealer would help me out..Well, On their website they showed that they had vermont castings so I called them up. Well, they said that they dropped the line two years ago due to having real problems getting the necessary parts for the stoves, period. Ok, so now I call a third dealer even farther away and basically they told me the same thing, but that they were in the process of dropping the line to to problems getting parts etc..So what in the heck am I to think mon???????????????? Believe me, I am an american through and through so dont even go there. I grew up with a Vermon Castings Vigilant and my parents are still using it today.

CFM really mis-manageged the company Got so indept that they were going to go under. Toronto Ontario Teachers pention fund had heavily invested in CFM. IF CFM disolved The teachers pention fund would go down with it. So the thachers fund had little choice to buy CFM out or bail them out. During this time of uncertanty a lot to things were left up in the air. Dealer support parts ect include the last yeart of CFM in control as well. Bad decisions were made getting into the Barque market selling with Home Cheapo Bad Robert Sahw Gas Valve recall plus the price oF Stainless Steel went up after they were locked into a contract with Home Cheapo.
To say that part of the business went well it practically caused its colapse. You are right some dealers took acception that VC was marketing to the box stores in direct competition for Grills, And feared they would also open up the entire line of woodstoves to the box stores . VC was not there for thier dealers during that time true.

Fast forward to 2006 VC stoves are doing well. Shane who is a poster and dealer here, has indicated the new attitude VC has taken on once CFM idiots were removed. Believe me the workers in Bethel VT are fighting for their very existance. Bottom line it would be cheaper to outsource to China like just about all manufactures do now. There is alot at stake for the small town in VT 175 famillies who's bread winner is out of a job hurts the entire community and area The person incharge of Betlel VT and I keep in touch via e-mails. He knows the value of support on Hearthnet. When I asked to support the stoves for the needy, his only question was how many and where to deliver. I can support a company like that. Being the last American stove manufacturing compamy makes it easier. I will make this promise, if you end up purchasing a VC stove and have problems e-mail me I will do what I can to get major issues solved. Just ask Mo Heat I got his stove replaced. I believe VC learned a lesson the hard way as their market share dropped
They had to develop better dealer and cunsumer support. I will also not recomend their Winterwarms till they rectify the door fitting and air leakage problems.

Believe me, if I can get a dealer in my area that will install one and service one I will probably go with the non-cat Encore.

Status
Not open for further replies.