Chimney/Stove Install Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowdoc

Dec 6, 2007
Catskills, NY
I was given a wood/coal stove made by The Defiance Company. Its in great condition and has 2 ‘draft’ (?) controls. One on the left bottom and one on the right bottom of the stove. There is an 8” collar on top of the stove. The stove has an inspection plaque on the back stating the clearances of 24” side and 24” back. Its dated from 1980.

The house has a dirt floor basement and 2 living space floors above that. I want to install the stove on the first living space floor. The chimney for the boiler is in the middle of the house and not practical to attach the stove to, so I wanted to run a new pipe chimney out the wall and up the side of the house extending above the roof line.

My questions are these:

1. I am assuming I must use 8” piping for the entire run and can’t use a reducer at any point to make it 6”. Is that correct?

2. Once I exit the wall and run the chimney along side the house, can I run it about 16” away from the house so that I don’t have to cut through the eave/overhang of the roof, which extends out 14” from the house?

3. Do I have to use triple wall, double wall or single wall pipe for the portion of the pipe going up outside?

4. Is 3’ away from a window ok for the pipe to pass as it goes up? There are 32 windows in the house and I am trying to keep it far away from any one window as possible.

5. Does anyone have any other suggestions that might help?

I have called the state Fire Protection office in Albany and spoke with the local building department. They have been of very little help. They basically tell me that I need to get information about the stove from the manufacturer, which is no longer in business and I can’t find any info on the web either.

I know this is a lot of info to ask for, but I am most appreciative of anything offered. I have basically renovated this entire house solo, yet I wouldn’t want to make a mistake with the stove and risk a serious problem.

Thanx

Attachments

• 1205072120aa.jpg
    1205072120aa.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 890
Thanx for you help. I kind of agree with the look not being the best.

I am considering putting the stove in my dining room which is very casual. The plus side to it is that I can tie into the furnace chimney from that room. Less pipe, less cost, better looking overall I think.

The house oil furnace is in the basement and uses the chimney. I don't think I would have a problem with both using the same chimney.

Or would I? Hmmm

I'll have to look into that I guess. Thanx again.

Its a brick chimney in an old house. There used to be an old gravity wood/coal octopus furnace attached to it. The furnace is still int he basement, just not attached to anything.

shadowdoc said:
Thanx for you help. I kind of agree with the look not being the best.

I am considering putting the stove in my dining room which is very casual. The plus side to it is that I can tie into the furnace chimney from that room. Less pipe, less cost, better looking overall I think.

The house oil furnace is in the basement and uses the chimney. I don't think I would have a problem with both using the same chimney.

Or would I? Hmmm

I'll have to look into that I guess. Thanx again.

Its a brick chimney in an old house. There used to be an old gravity wood/coal octopus furnace attached to it. The furnace is still int he basement, just not attached to anything.

Your going to get mixed reviews on that. There is an ongoing debate about two appliances using one chimney.

and here I thought this was gonna be easy.....lol

SO....Is it ok to have the oil burner in the basement and a wood stove on the first floor using the same chimney???

OK...I'll wait until the jury speaks on the idea....

Thanx..:)

PS..This is an awesome site!

My friend you are in luck...............I have the manual for your stove!

Attachments

• family1.jpg
    family1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 981
If the chiminy has 2 flues you can do it but a wood burning appliance must have a dedicated flue. Not saying people dont do it, its just not per code. If it were me I wouldnt do it

Here is a teaser!

Attachments

• 4200tmp.jpg
    4200tmp.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 780
The Chimney only has 1 flue. So, I am back to the original plan of installing a new chimney up the side of the house. I can do that now so that the stove will be working for the winter. Plus, I can have the stove in the room I really wanted it in to begin with.

I was pricing piping......ah...wow. Good thing I got the stove for free. :)

Thanx for everyone's input. I guess I better start workin on this project. Its gettin cold out.

shadowdoc said:
What are the chances????

SOooooooo...the million $$ question.....How can I see it, get it or buy it?

I sent you a return email!!

I'm going to make you a copy and mail it to you.

Thank you,Hiram Maxim

OK - 1st off, Code is VERY explicit - one appliance per chimney, no sharing. There are a couple minor exceptions, none of which apply in this case. Some folks do share, but they are in definite violation.

It would be possible to power-vent the oilburner out the wall, and thus free the chimney for the wood stove, but that may not be an ideal solution, as many people say the powervent units have their own issues.

That stove is a "smoke-dragon" and will eat a lot of wood and make a lot of creosote and smoke for the amount of heat you'll get out of it. As it needs an 8" pipe, your install cost is also going to be higher than it would need to be if you were to install a cleaner burning modern stove that could use a 6" stack - I haven't priced the chimney stuff myself, but I've been told that the price difference between 6" and 8" is a good chunk of the cost of a NEW stove...

Gooserider

Wow....good thing I already decided not to double dip on the chimney. Seems like the Chimney Police might rubber hose me if I did...lol..kidding.. :)

I appreciate the info once again.

I am really looking for a balance of aesthetics and heat, not super efficency...eeeks...no one shoot me.

I happen to like the aesthetics of the stove and since it won't be my primary source of heat, I can deal with the wood use, etc..

There a def difference in the price of 6" and 8" pipe.

My goal is to use the stove I have and set it up in the safest and most effecient manner. And of course no code violations.

Time will tell.....

Gooserider said:
OK - 1st off, Code is VERY explicit - one appliance per chimney, no sharing. There are a couple minor exceptions, none of which apply in this case. Some folks do share, but they are in definite violation.

It would be possible to power-vent the oilburner out the wall, and thus free the chimney for the wood stove, but that may not be an ideal solution, as many people say the powervent units have their own issues.

That stove is a "smoke-dragon" and will eat a lot of wood and make a lot of creosote and smoke for the amount of heat you'll get out of it. As it needs an 8" pipe, your install cost is also going to be higher than it would need to be if you were to install a cleaner burning modern stove that could use a 6" stack - I haven't priced the chimney stuff myself, but I've been told that the price difference between 6" and 8" is a good chunk of the cost of a NEW stove...

Gooserider

The stove isn't actually a smoke dragon.......Once the draft is properly set no smoke seems to pore out of the chimney. If you mean EPA smoke dragon well than yes. Its actually rather efficient for an older stove. And it sure saved my butt a few times over the years. But to be honest, I would buy another Masters Choice Model 32 in a heartbeat. It has a secondary burn and puts out some serious heat. It also will take a 24" log.

If it would fit in my current fireplace I would move it from the other house.........but it wouldn't so I went with an Englander 30 that gets installed this week.woooohoo!

Metal said:
Your install should look similar to this (see pic). You can extend it farther from the house, but IMHO it would look better closer. 3' from window is fine. You will need to run 8" Class A pipe outside. You can run double or single wall black pipe inside (cheaper).

My oil furnace vents out the house similiar to this, but its just sticks out the side of the foundation about 4 or 5 inches. Was thinking of something similiar to this pic for installing a stand alone stove in my basement....

Status
Not open for further replies.