Chimney support for fireplace & fireplace location - Conflicting advice. Help needed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rworkman98

Apr 21, 2008
Chicago Suburbs
I'm looking to buy a wood-burning fireplace for aesthetic reasons, and putting it in my living room. I went to two local fireplace stores, and got 180 degree different advice.

Ideally, I would like to have the firebox sitting in my outside wall, and projecting outside my house, with the chimney / chase being built above the firebox, and being outside, but attached to, the rest of my house. This is how all of the installations I've seen appear. I currently have a basement underneath this room, which is in the 1st floor of a 2-story house.

The first place I went to said this would be no problem. She gave me a rough estimate of $9-10k for everything installed. (fireplace, chimney, shelf mantel, granite hearth and fireplace surround.) She stated that the fireplace could be placed there, and attached above my subfloor. She stated that with a small prefab unit (Majestic BC36 or SR36A), that I would not have to add additional support and it could all be bolted on top of my wood subfloor. They would have to cut some carpet away, but wouldn't have to mess with or expose my floor joists. This is important to me because I don't want to mess with my basement or joists at all.

The second place I went to stated that this was not possible at all. He told me that if I have an outside chase, it could not be supported by the side of my house. He said the only way to do this was to cantilever the firebox and chimney into my floor joists, cutting holes in the wall where the joists are connected to the outside wall, and attaching the support for the fireplace directly sideways to the joists. He stated that I would have to put the fireplace on an inside wall, entirely within my room, and run the chimney up through a closet on my second floor. He gave a rough estimate of $5k all told. However, I strongly prefer not to put the entire firebox inside my house (losing 10 sq feet of floor space on my first floor and ~2 square feet of floor space on my 2nd floor.)

Who is correct? I am thoroughly confused, and would appreciate any input or foresight. Also, my village is often a stickler for code and rules, and they will have to inspect this installation both as a rough install, and as a final.
Please let me know if you need any additional information in order to offer an informed opinion. I can provide any info needed.

This chimney / chase would be vinyl sided and 2x4s; no brick needed...

I've been looking into the same thing - I'm planning to build this summer. In my case I'm planning to put the fireplace in my basement, so I plan to leave a space in my poured basement walls - the fireplace will extend into that space and around that I'll build the framed chase. The difference in my case is that I'll definitely be resting it on some sort of footer at ground level - have you considered just extending it to the ground and resting it on a simple footer?

I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you a good answer on whether you have to extend the joists or can just attach it to the house - seems to me that there would be a way to just attach it to the house since you aren't trying to support a floor with a certain load rating and so forth. But I'm not certain - don't go by my thoughts.

I do find it frustrating that there's very little info out there on how to build these chases, and in talking with local contractors the methods seem to be all over the map - there certainly isn't just one way to do these things. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.