Chimney Sweep Fire Logs. Do they work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with those chimney sweep logs that you can buy at the local hardware store and whether or not they work. I do use a brush to clean out my steel liner but if the logs do work I know it would be a bit cleaner than the brush.Any info would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Have tried them. They help but I don't think they eliminate the need for the brush. In all honestly though I did not use them for an extended period of time nor dogmatically. If I had maybe I wouldn't have had to clean the chimney so often (once a month or month and a half)

My understanding is that generally speaking, chemical based creosote removers are used to turn stuff like stage 3, or glazed, creosote into something easier to brush. Probably no harm done in using them, but there is no substitute for a manual cleaning, which you indicated you do. Sounds like you're in good shape.

They do work. What they do is dry out creosote and much of it will fall down the pipe. However what they really excel at is drying and loosening creosote making the chimney far easier to sweep.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.