Chimney Sweep -How much to pay ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How much should a chimney sweep cost ? The chimney sweeper just left my house. He twice mentioned the front office must like me because they haven't charged $89 in a long time and that they are charging $130 usually. I SAID: it must be because I live close by to them, and because they canceled on me last year and left me stranded, and because THEY installed the brand new heavy gauge stainless stove pipe for $300 2 yrs ago and said it would make their job a breeze, and because I didn't want the whole sticking the camera down the chimney drama (they actually try to pitch you a package service when you first call- that includes all that !). I don't know if he was hinting for a tip or what. He said there was hardly any build up. I told him it hasn't been cleaned in the 2 yrs of the stove pipes life except for 1 sweep log last winter and I use my stove ALL THE TIME ! I try to burn it hot and it IS a Huntsman 241 which has a double chamber with a permanant tilted pipe in it which supposedly drips the creo back into the stove to reburn it. It took him a half hr. to do the work and there was absolutely no mess on him or my house. Even after vacumming the inside of the stove. So what should a chimney sweep cost ?

$130 is pretty close to what I paid a couple years ago. I don't remember if they did one flue or 2 for that $$$.

I mean- I can't think of any handy/trade type job that "the guy" will do a housecall for less than $100. Counting their time, overhead, and vehicle- they aren't making much on $89 to be sure.

Thank you for your reply. I did not push the office girl for a lower price. She simply offered it up immediatly after she learned THEY installed the pipe and that I lived one town over from them. And I certainly did not complain whan the man was here. I thanked him for his knowledge. He said I was doing a good job for a begginer. I thanked him again but did not tip him (unfortunately I had no cash home anyway).If they charge $100 next time I will not complain. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.