chimney sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sadworld

i will soon be attempting my first chimney sweep in my new chimney. it's a 6inch pipe with a clean out... the pipe goes up and out a side wall then up again.... in other words it has 2 ninety degree angles...does anything need to be done with the horizontal part of the pipe going through the wall? between the stove and the cleanout? hope not.... how would i get to this to clean it? thanks. matt.

Take off the interior elbow to clean the horizontal and the vertical below it.

IF your horizontal isn't too long you could tie a rope to the brush and send it through the thimble then pull the brush thru.

Defiantly clean the horizontal. I get more crap in that than any other part of the chimney. Sorry. :red:

damn i didn't know i had to tear it all apart.... i was really hoping the answer would be more like "you don't have to clean that part cause it's always so hot there, that creosote just burns off before it gets a chance to build up...." guess that line of thinking was incorrect, glad i asked. thanks. matt.

Status
Not open for further replies.