Chimney sweeping Answer NexGen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jaison

Dec 2, 2022
Connecticut
I have a Lopi Answer Nexgen, and I’m not sure how easy it is to remove the baffle to sweep it myself from bottom up without breaking it since I’ve heard they’re pretty fragile. Is it possible to sweep it from the top down without removing the baffle?

I have a Lopi Answer Nexgen, and I’m not sure how easy it is to remove the baffle to sweep it myself from bottom up without breaking it since I’ve heard they’re pretty fragile. Is it possible to sweep it from the top down without removing the baffle?
Yes. Just sweep it down, careful not to hit the baffle too hard with your broom. Then slip the pipe up and vacuum off the baffle.

Reactions: Jaison
Yes. Just sweep it down, careful not to hit the baffle too hard with your broom. Then slip the pipe up and vacuum off the baffle.
I neglected to mention it’s an insert, my installers had enough trouble as it was getting it in there so I don’t wanna mess with that at all. That’s my bad. Would maybe blowing off the baffle from the front with a shop vac work instead?

I neglected to mention it’s an insert, my installers had enough trouble as it was getting it in there so I don’t wanna mess with that at all. That’s my bad. Would maybe blowing off the baffle from the front with a shop vac work instead?
Just remove 2 secondary combustion tubes. Then the baffle will drop out easily. Takes a 3/8” socket.

Just remove 2 secondary combustion tubes. Then the baffle will drop out easily. Takes a 3/8” socket.
I’ll give it a shot. I looked online and they’re about $190 brand new if I do happen to break it… but it’s relatively new (only burned with it for two months) so I don’t think it should be too fragile

I’ll give it a shot. I looked online and they’re about $190 brand new if I do happen to break it… but it’s relatively new (only burned with it for two months) so I don’t think it should be too fragile
Shouldn’t need cleaned after 2 months.
They aren’t that fragile. More fragile toward being hit with firewood while loading. I take them out all the time.

Reactions: Jaison
Maybe the Answer is like the Liberty, where if you open up the flue bypass before you brush down the flue, all the creosote will fall into the firebox, so you don't need to remove the baffle(?)
There is no bypass on the Answer. Even with the Liberty, some crud will still fall down and accumulate on the baffle around the bypass. That needs to be cleaned out eventually.

Correct, I just have air controls, no bypass. I ended up taking the baffle out, I could tell it is pretty fragile but I was very careful with it. Had little chunks of dried paint on the baffle blanket too, went ahead and plucked those out.