Chimney Termination Question....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevaleva

Dec 30, 2014
Virginia
I had a prefab fireplace and am in the process of switching to a pellet stove. I am running a 4" MFlex liner down my existing chimney. However, when I climbed on the roof today to survey everything, I was scratching my head trying to figure out how I terminate a square chimney cap on top of a round chimney. The outside diameter of the chimney pipe is 12-1/2", with an 8" pipe inside of that. The square termination cap that came with the MFlex kit is 13" x 13".

Do I need to take it to a shop and have someone bend it so it fits around the pipe and rests on top? If I do that though, I'm left with only about a quarter inch of material on the sides. Please help me, I'm a newbie to all this. Pictures are attached of the existing chimney cap and the new one that came with my kit.
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG
P.S. I know I need a new chimney chase cover...I'll order that soon and put that on before I figure out this chimney cap problem.

I would have a "tin knocker" bend up a separate piece for mounting the plate.
He can do that at the same time you have the chase top fabricated.
He can bend up a 13x13 "box" that attaches to the chasetop & encapsulates the existing vent collar.
If he leaves 1" tabs at the base of the box, you can zipscrew them to the chasetop
& then silicone the crap out of thescrews & tabs.
Then you can zipscrew the plate to the top of the box.
Hope that is understandable...

Status
Not open for further replies.