chimney too long?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cricketfarmer

Jan 12, 2012
central illinois
I went to look at wood stoves today to start getting an education about which one would be best for me. As I read through the installation guide for a Hearthstone Tribute, I found that the maximum chimney length is 30 feet. I assume I would measure the length starting at the top of the stove and stop 3 feet above the peak of the house which is where my chimney would exit. This would make it 34' in my old farmhouse. Will this be a problem ,especially since I plan on installing a rather small stove?

Its better to be too tall than too short.. Longer chimneys cost more though..

I'm not disputing any stove manufacturers statements, I will tell you though that my small catalyst stove has been hooked up to 32 ft. of chimney for many years now and is still working fine. No inline damper, nor 90 degree elbows needed.

Seems like a damper should take care of tall chimney overdraft issues. I'm 41' from stove to cap and I use a damper.

I have a tall chimney too and also noticed that some manufacturers state a max chimney height in their manual but not all of them do. Englander states a max chimney height of 25' in their manual for the 30NC. Pacific Energy does not state a max chimney height at all in their manual. This is one of the reasons I went with the PE over the Englander, my insurance company requires an inspection and I knew from my last stove that the inspector would look at all the specs in the manual. Didn't want to risk getting flunked due to the tall chimney. I also use a damper.

Sheez, you guys need to put airplane lights on those stacks? :lol:

Hardrockmaple said:
I'm not disputing any stove manufacturers statements, I will tell you though that my small catalyst stove has been hooked up to 32 ft. of chimney for many years now and is still working fine. No inline damper, nor 90 degree elbows needed.

Different smokes for different folks. There is no one answer here. A different stove on the same flue might be less well behaved.

I am now using an inline damper on a 25 ft flex liner. I do notice more heat off the stove when I close it down a little, and I'm sure less heat goes up the flue.

man! and i thought 30 feet is allot! must take allot of scrubbin with the chimney brush and tonz of rods!

Wow a 40 foot chimney is is high.

A damper is a good thing in almost all situations. Used properly (and when you get use to it) it will let you control the fire another way. You can control the exit and leave the input open a bit more. That is going to give you a better burn, hotter stove and less wood consumptioou

You have to get used to it like all new/different things.

I got the idea on the Mansfield from a few posts here, and I tried it. I would neve go back.
But, it took me a year of burning to figure out the controls with this added.
But, a real positive addition.

My stack is a fully lined and insulated SS liner in a clay flue, center of house chimney. It is only 14 feet high but has a great draw. I imagine you could produce similar results with any height stack and a manual damper.
One more thing, the damper on my stove is about 6 inches off the flue adaptor in a SS pipe adaptor. I am using a double wall in the house and single wall up the stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.