Chimney Top Plates

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jdk022

New Member
Aug 17, 2026
6
Maryland
I did a quick search of the forum and couldn’t find much guidance on top plates. Most of the kits I see available for flex liners include a flat plate, although terra cotta plates are available separately that attach with screws instead of (or maybe in addition to) sealant. Some even have built in rain caps. If I have 6” of exposed terra cotta above my chimney crown is it worth buying a specialized terra cotta plate like the ones below?
[Hearth.com] Chimney Top Plates
[Hearth.com] Chimney Top Plates
 
The weight of the liner will keep the top plate stationary until the sealant dries. The fancy one looks way better. I did not have the fancy one and it always reminded me of a top hat.
 
The weight of the liner will keep the top plate stationary until the sealant dries. The fancy one looks way better. I did not have the fancy one and it always reminded me of a top hat.
I have been described as many things, but fancy is not one of them… i agree though, it looks nicer and I might spend the extra if there’s no downside to using it. I like that it fully wraps the edges of the flue tile, which seems like a more rain tight design.
 
I can’t think of a downside. I don’t think rain will be an issue either way.