Chimneys and liners and flues, oh my!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farm mom

Feb 16, 2009
The Sooner State
First of all, thanks to all who helped with my first post. Now, lets see how I'm doing with my education:

A chimney is a supportive structure. It can be made of brick or stone (like I picture when you say chimney) or it can be a pipe.

A flue is the actual thing that carries the smoke and gasses from the fire to the outside.

A liner, I'm assuming, goes between the chimney and flue? Usually used with a brick or stone (masonry?) chimney, especially in an exterior installation?, they help keep the flue warm?

Oh yeah, a chase is a structure to provide necessary clearances around a pipe chimney as it travels through areas such as ceilings, attics, and roofs.

Now, if we go ahead and do a stove with an interior chimney, up through a second story and an attic, am I right in my current thought that a good combination of efficiency and economics is a correctly sized flue, inside a pipe chimney, inside a chase after it leaves the first floor? If this is correct, how many options should we consider (or are there) regarding flues and chimneys?

Thanks again, you all are awesome!

farm mom said:
First of all, thanks to all who helped with my first post. Now, lets see how I'm doing with my education:

A chimney is a supportive structure. It can be made of brick or stone (like I picture when you say chimney) or it can be a pipe.

A flue is the actual thing that carries the smoke and gasses from the fire to the outside.

A liner, I'm assuming, goes between the chimney and flue? Usually used with a brick or stone (masonry?) chimney, especially in an exterior installation?, they help keep the flue warm?

Oh yeah, a chase is a structure to provide necessary clearances around a pipe chimney as it travels through areas such as ceilings, attics, and roofs.

Now, if we go ahead and do a stove with an interior chimney, up through a second story and an attic, am I right in my current thought that a good combination of efficiency and economics is a correctly sized flue, inside a pipe chimney, inside a chase after it leaves the first floor? If this is correct, how many options should we consider (or are there) regarding flues and chimneys?

Thanks again, you all are awesome!

Your pretty close....
A chimney or chase serves the same prpose....to support the flue.
A flue can be clay lined pavers like what you'd find in a chimney.
A flue can also be a metal high temp(2100) degree rated pipe.
A liner is a pipe that runs through a clay lined or non lined chimney.

It's always better to run a chase and flue through the home utilising the home as insulation.Same for a brick chimney.
Outside venting(chimney/chase) are typically cold unless insulated and could be creosote makers.

My choice for you would be Simpsons Flues...they make a full line of piping to meet your needs.
I happen to know where you can get 30% off of list prices.
wink wink,but there are other manufactures of quality pipe.
Selkirk and Metalbestous to name a few.

Thanks!

Keith, don't know where you are in MN, but we've been known to hang out in Park Rapids every few years. Thanks for the tips, and we'll let you know when we decide what we're going to do. (I wonder if I could justify a fishing trip up North by saying it would save on shipping costs? :) )

Pagey, thanks for the links! Somehow I missed the prefab one before...

Status
Not open for further replies.