Choice of Insert and installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maynardb

Nov 19, 2016
Monroe,NY
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and have a couple of questions. I'm a handy guy, and can install a stove, but need advice about attaching the flue pipe to the fireplace. My fireplace has a flue damper and the stove that I'm buying has an 8" flue outlet. Should I remove the damper and construct a plate with an 8" opening and attach the insert to that, or just remove the damper from the plate and let the stove seal against the backing plate on the bricks of the fireplace with rolled up fiberglass? Also I am looking at a cheaper insert that I can get delivered for about $1,000. What are your thoughts? Here is the link to the stove. Also, does this qualify for the $300 tax credit for newer stoves?
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ntent=172922&gclid=CPqypMf3tNACFQdYDQodOm4M6g
Thanks,
Bruce

If possible get a 6" flue outlet insert. That will help keep installation easier and costs lower. The damper may need a notch cut out to clear the liner or in some cases the damper can be removed. There a many threads here that show the steps for an insert DIY installation.

Lots of good budget inserts on the market. Just be sure they fit your fireplace. The Century 2500W, True North TN20, Heatilator Wins18, Englander 13NCi, Drolet Escape 1800i are affordable inserts. They should qualify for a $300 tax credit until the end of this year.

Should I remove the damper and construct a plate with an 8" opening and attach the insert to that, or just remove the damper from the plate and let the stove seal against the backing plate on the bricks of the fireplace with rolled up fiberglass?
I'm not seeing a liner mentioned. You do plan on a liner, right?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

well the link you provided shows a stove with a 6" outlet. At that you just cut the damper frame out and run you liner up and out the top of the chimney. You cannot just slide it into the opening and you will not be happy with it just stuck through the plate at the damper.

Status
Not open for further replies.