Choker, Chains, and Dragging - oh my

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dead lodgepole and western larch have very little habitat value when they are under 24 inches standing or down. Pine doesn't burn well anyways and tends to cause cresote build-up. You still can't cut anything that is green and why would you want to anyways? You can typically go cut a snag in september and burn it the same day with no issues.

Lots of folks just use wire rope and a block. Attach the block to a tree or stump on the uphill side of the road, run the wire to the tree, attach the other end to their bumper and pull it up the hill. If it is too big, buck and repeat.

jibe said:
Pine doesn't burn well anyways and tends to cause cresote build-up.

Ya, it just clogs up my CAT Converter as you can see. Cant really heat my home with it either. %-P

Attachments

• 3yrcat.jpg
    3yrcat.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 233
jibe said:
Pine doesn't burn well anyways and tends to cause cresote build-up. You can typically go cut a snag in september and burn it the same day with no issues.

Uh oh. Now you did it.

Must be related to population density?

Actually I think it has more to do with how the forest is managed more than anything else. Most of the standing dead wood you'll find isn't huge most of it is 12-14" diameter and smaller and clearing it out is a benefit as it thins out for the surrounding timber to fill in.

I know some unpopulated spots in Oregon that have the same rules you are describing where you can only take downed timber.

Status
Not open for further replies.