Choose the correct woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stove?

Mar 8, 2018
Ontario
He’s not doing research on what woodstove to purchase for the last eight months. I have so much information that I am now overwhelmed. My goal is to heat a 2000 square-foot cottage/home. Generally speaking, the cottage/home is well insulated.The cottage sits on a crawl space. The crawlspace walls are insulated or to control space is granite. The stove will sit in a great room with 16 foot ceilings. It is connected to four bedrooms and a large open concept kitchen. I currently have an NZ 2600 that I will be removing. I am tired of getting up to stoke the stove twice per night during the cold season. I am looking for a stove that will burn through the night. 90% of the wood I burn is Maple. I am looking at the Blaze King Princess in the Blaze ’King King. I am also considering 3 non-cat stoves. They are the HT 2000 and the HT 3000 as well as the JA Roby ultimate. Your comments and recommendations would be appreciated.

I’ve got no experience with your listed non cat stoves; looking quickly at the HT 2000 (and assuming the others are similar), high heat output (claim 100,000 btu) and fire box size of 3.7 cubic feet, burn time up to 10 hours. To me, that seems like a lot of heat for 2,000 sq ft, and a good amount of wood to eat.

I’m currently running the BK ashford 30 (which is very similar to the princess). 50,000 btu 2.9 cubic ft and burn times of 8-13 hrs avg. (again very similar to princess model). I’m heating 1954 sq ft, open floor plan and I burn 90-95% pine. I can cook myself out of the house, I get 12 hour burn cycles even down to negative temps, I can pull 16-24 hrs with my hardwood (mahogany) in our coldest months (mixed loads of hardwood/softwood). Although I’d venture to guess my temps aren’t quite what you see. This stove is very predictable and easy to control.

Cost is likely a factor, as I’m assuming the BK will be more expensive. However, it’s worth the cost if your looking for good even temps, and low burns. Some describe BK stoves as boring, so if your looking for anything other than that, BK isn’t for you. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Stove?
NZ 2600 is an insert, best I know. Are you going to leave the old insert and install a free standing stove elsewhere?

The princess and HT 2000 have only slightly better heat outputs than what your insert currently has, so they would have to be run flat out to do much better.

The king and 3000 ht are bigger, but again, that's going from an insert to a free standing stove, best I can tell. Both should heat you out of the place, with good solid maple hardwood,,,, or otherwise even. From what I can see Roby Ultimate came up as discontinued.

The switch between an insert and freestanding stove, is a big wild card here, unless I am missing a nz2600 free stander unit?

pen

NZ 2600 is an insert, best I know. Are you going to leave the old insert and install a free standing stove elsewhere?

The princess and HT 2000 have only slightly better heat outputs than what your insert currently has, so they would have to be run flat out to do much better.

The king and 3000 ht are bigger, but again, that's going from an insert to a free standing stove, best I can tell. Both should heat you out of the place, with good solid maple hardwood,,,, or otherwise even. From what I can see Roby Ultimate came up as discontinued.

The switch between an insert and freestanding stove, is a big wild card here, unless I am missing a nz2600 free stander unit?

pen
The nz2600 will be removed. It is built into a faux stone wall that I will take down. It is not really an Insert. I think it is referred to
As a zero clearance unit. It can give off some decent heat but is so small
That I am Constantly reloading it, which requires that I shovel Coals out of it.

The nz2600 will be removed. It is built into a faux stone wall that I will take down. It is not really an Insert. I think it is referred to
That I am Constantly reloading it, which requires that I shovel Coals out of it.
My local Home Hardware Store has a new Roby Ultimate for sale at cdn $2000.

Yes, the NZ series are ZC fireplaces. Moving up to a 3 cu ft firebox in a freestanding stove will make a notable difference. The HT3000 is a great value.