Choosing a Harman

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OpenWater

Aug 30, 2009
Catskills
I'm interested in installing a Harman in my log home. Home is 1500 square feet. The p68 has been recommended to me, and I understand it is a good stove. Does this sound like the right sized stove? I intend to put the stove in my great room. Loft up above, so lots of space.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Chris

Hey Chris,

welcome from a fellow NY'er and log home owner similar in size to yours. The P68 should do nicely. I have an Avalon Astoria that I heat my great room, kitchen, office, and upstairs bedrooms (loft) and it's only rated at 45,000btu's output/hr. I cut my oil usage by 1/2 last winter....burned about 4 tons of pellets.

Orange County, NY here too.

This will be my third burn season with the Harman XXV. Great stove, love the install and the efficiency. Home is about 2400 s/f. Stove is in the basement and we use it to heat the entire house, two levels above the basement level.

Russ

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful!

Russ - could you share more on your decision to put your stove in the basement? I would love to do that, as we have a gas stove in our great room already that I am thinking of replacing with a pellet. I'd like a pellet in the basement for supplementary heat, but from what a couple of retailers have said, a pellet stove in the basement is probably not able to do that. Maybe this food for a new thread, but it sounds like you've got a good set-up. Love to hear your thoughts on this...

Cheers,

Chris

the 68 is hands down the best pellet unit on the market, and is actually consumer reports top pick for a new pellet unit... As far as a basement install... i know the conventional wisdom dictates to put it where you live the most, but that being said, that puppy rivals many large woodstoves and even smaller furnaces for heat output.. i have about a dozen customers out there who have larger homes than yours and heat the place with either the P61 or P68 from their basement... they do run thru an extra ton of pellets doing so (normal yearly use round these parts is 4 ton, these guys use @ 5), but i think if you stuck that thing in your living room, you'd never use it to full btu capacity...

We have a 1400 sq. ft ranch with a great room that was always freezing. The P68 purchased last year kept it nice and toasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.