"Christmas" wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal-MI

Sep 4, 2009
West Michigan
OK, the wood actually, when split, is red and green. I suspect the green is spalting or something and the red is natural. What kind of wood is it? I have my suspicion, but the log was bark free, dry, and lying just off the ground. It is tough to split but burns readily in the airtight stove, so is apparently 12% moisture or thereabouts. Notice the chatoyancy of some spit sections. The background logs with bark on from a different tree, so do not judge the split sample by them.

Attachments

• R&Gwoods.jpg
    R&Gwoods.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 667
Boxelder has red streaks and I'm thinking the green is some kind of fungus.

I agree with Todd; boxelder. Had a nail in it? = green/blue.

Chatoyancy? Interesting word. I actually found one hit on Merriam-Webster's.

French origins... (figures)

Chatoyant: (shuh-toy-unt, emphasis on middle syllable)

"...to shine like a cat's eyes..."
"having a changeable luster or color with an undulating narrow band of white light"

From Websters-online:
"Varying in color when seen in different lights or from different angles"
Websters-online

Not a word you run into often.
Reminds me of a semi-precious stone,
or a weird piece of wood. ;-)

old fence wire will make the blue color streaks like that ,if a mill sees that ,they immediately shut it off and toss the entire log out for fear of ruining their 3500$ blades

Are all the splits green and red ? The red could be box elder and BE does tend to shed the bark when sitting it also is a little hard to split and when wet a bit stringy somewhat like elm

Definitely Maple... Maybe... I think... yes Maple... probably!
I hope this helps.
Firewood? oh yea!

Bubbavh said:
Definitely Maple... Maybe... I think... yes Maple... probably!
I hope this helps.
Firewood? oh yea!

And, of course, box elder is a type of maple.

Often times the soaking wet laying down dead wood I pull from the swamp will split out colorful like that. I use it for campfire wood and noticed it burns more colorful too.

Cal-MI said:
Notice the chatoyancy of some spit sections.

...written like someone who has spent time gazing lovingly at his firewood. Do you find yourself telling your wife 'your eyes have the chatoyancy of fresh-split box elder?' that's a good line, I may have to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.