Ci2700 finally installed, but some questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jdclarey

Oct 8, 2020
Fargo, ND
Well, since ordering in early October, we have finally have our new stove installed. Unfortunately, we ran into some issues. I was told we were getting an experienced installer, but I think he quit. We ended up with a mom and son and Im sure she was a sales lady most of the time. My son over heard them saying several times that they didnt know what they were doing.

Problem 1: I was told cutting out my heart form would be no problem, but then was told I needed another fireplace since they couldn't get the pipe past the damper. I advised them to just cut the damper out and was told it's impossible. So I spent hr with a grinder on a Sat cutting it out. But now we were bumped on the schedule 4 weeks.

Problem 2: When they came to install the second time, they were certainly inexperienced at installing. They didnt finish because they said a part was broken. This is where my son overheard them questioning what they were doing several times.

Problem 3: A week later we have it installed. But its a bit crooked and the left/bottom decorative plating is completely loose just flapping around. Also, I was hoping the decorate surround would be close to flush with the brick (understanding that brick isn't perfectly plumb), but they left it about an 3/4" out from the brick.

Problem 4: They didnt insulate the liner, but ive heard mixed advice wether this is necessary.,

Problem 5: The cap for the stove pipe just blew off and is sitting askew as I type this. Shouldn't this have been caulked on and not just floating?

Im having my first fire now and just put a few sticks in and 1 log. Its sitting at 900 degrees with everything closed down. Seems a bit high for such a small amount of fuel. Do the Ci2700s come with restrictor plates. I have a 25' run of Pipe, so I assume I got a pretty strong draft.

Well, not that I vented I feel a little better.

There is a guy in town Im going to have look at it. He was who I wanted to install it in the first place, but he didnt want to deal with the heat form. Hopefully I can pay him to fix these issues.

I would tell the company to send someone that knows what they are doing and fix the install or I would dispute the payment. I would not let the mother and son in my house again. 900 degrees is very hot, I would not burn it if you can't control it.

Well, since ordering in early October, we have finally have our new stove installed. Unfortunately, we ran into some issues. I was told we were getting an experienced installer, but I think he quit. We ended up with a mom and son and Im sure she was a sales lady most of the time. My son over heard them saying several times that they didnt know what they were doing.

Problem 1: I was told cutting out my heart form would be no problem, but then was told I needed another fireplace since they couldn't get the pipe past the damper. I advised them to just cut the damper out and was told it's impossible. So I spent hr with a grinder on a Sat cutting it out. But now we were bumped on the schedule 4 weeks.

Problem 2: When they came to install the second time, they were certainly inexperienced at installing. They didnt finish because they said a part was broken. This is where my son overheard them questioning what they were doing several times.

Problem 3: A week later we have it installed. But its a bit crooked and the left/bottom decorative plating is completely loose just flapping around. Also, I was hoping the decorate surround would be close to flush with the brick (understanding that brick isn't perfectly plumb), but they left it about an 3/4" out from the brick.

Problem 4: They didnt insulate the liner, but ive heard mixed advice wether this is necessary.,

Problem 5: The cap for the stove pipe just blew off and is sitting askew as I type this. Shouldn't this have been caulked on and not just floating?

Im having my first fire now and just put a few sticks in and 1 log. Its sitting at 900 degrees with everything closed down. Seems a bit high for such a small amount of fuel. Do the Ci2700s come with restrictor plates. I have a 25' run of Pipe, so I assume I got a pretty strong draft.

Well, not that I vented I feel a little better.

There is a guy in town Im going to have look at it. He was who I wanted to install it in the first place, but he didnt want to deal with the heat form. Hopefully I can pay him to fix these issues.
Is that 900 on the cat probe?

If you overheard them say they did not know what they were doing you should have sent them packing right then.this is on you

If you overheard them say they did not know what they were doing you should have sent them packing right then.this is on you
No it certainly is not on them. They paid to have a professional install and that is what they should get

Well, ultimately I am responsible for this as Im paying for it and its my stove. But the installers certainly have a responsibility too.

Just to be clear, it was my 12 year old son that overheard them and mentioned it to me after the install was done and I was noticing all the concerns. I dont think he was in a position to "send them packing".

Anyways, my biggest question is, Should I pursue having insulation installed on the liner or no? It seems like im reading two very different opinions.
-Absolutely, all liners should be insulated
-nah, its just a scam for more money.

No it certainly is not on them. They paid to have a professional install and that is what they should get

Well, ultimately I am responsible for this as Im paying for it and its my stove. But the installers certainly have a responsibility too.

Just to be clear, it was my 12 year old son that overheard them and mentioned it to me after the install was done and I was noticing all the concerns. I dont think he was in a position to "send them packing".

Anyways, my biggest question is, Should I pursue having insulation installed on the liner or no? It seems like im reading two very different opinions.
-Absolutely, all liners should be insulated
-nah, its just a scam for more money.
Absolutely all liners should be insulated for safety and performance. In most cases insulating actually cuts into profits more than adding. If someone is dropping bare liners you can easily do 2 in a day. Insulated usually only one