circulator help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Correct and that is what the OWB is doing... lf you look at a earlier post to FORMER FARMER I posted them. View attachment 289683THANK YOU
Hard to see the settings. But hard to know if even relevant without knowing exact oil boiler temp.

Edit: I do not see that pic posted earlier unless I missed it with several looks. But you posted above a couple of posts that the only temp gauge is on the OWB. But is that not a temp and pressure gauge I see in the above pic, above the aquastat?

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking more on your exchanger temps. They don’t make sense to me, but that is possibly because I don’t understand exactly how it is there. So take the following for what it’s worth….
I would understand from your numbers to say that the heat coming into your exchanger from the OWB is under 130. You say, I think, that it shows 87 supply from OWB, 77 return to OWB. On the other side, I would understand 82 into oil boiler, 109 out of oil boiler. So, if we take the cut in temp on your oil boiler of 130, and say the temp from the oil boiler going into the HX is 130, which shows on your pipe as 109. That is HIGHER than the supply (87) from the OWB into the HX, hence the reason the oil boiler still kicks on.
But like I said, it’s a bit foggy trying to understand while not being able to see from over 1,000 miles away.

There is a lot in what was posted that is not making sense.

That is the same boiler as i have for back up.
My wood fired boiler is plumbed to charge storage,that is it's only job.
I run a plate HX just water on the wood boiler side.I have a circ that draws from the wood boiler side and runs through the HX with an aquastat on the feed line,when that temp drops below 105 it shuts off the circ and fires up the oil boiler.
The oil boiler is tied into the hot line coming from the HX with close tee's.This side of the HX has antifreeze for the underground lines and my house.
If i know i am going to run the oil for an extended time i will turn off one valve from the HX to storage,that stops heating the storage by the laws of thermodynamics.
Other than the valve i like to turn off it's all automatic.
The oil fires up if i have a town trip and don't get back till late,then all i have to do is fire the wood boiler and once temps are over 105 on that side the oil shuts down and the circ for the plate HX starts suppying heat from storage or the boiler whichever has the hottest supply.
Mr Salecker.... That system sounds interesting!!! I like that your call for the oil boiler is inline with the feed line!!! Thank you for all your replies and help... I shall continue playing with mine until i figure it out... Best of times and stay warm.... JOHN

I think I’d put a heat gauge at least in my supply at the house, just to make sure I’m wasn’t loosing a lot of heat in my outside line. I know it’s a bit difficult to check the pipe temp with an infrared thermometer.
Thank you for your reply.... I was also thinking the same thing, because the only gauge is the out door boiler. I will do some thinking as to what and where so as to know what my true temps are at both ends and then know where the fault lies....

I’ve been thinking more on your exchanger temps. They don’t make sense to me, but that is possibly because I don’t understand exactly how it is there. So take the following for what it’s worth….
I would understand from your numbers to say that the heat coming into your exchanger from the OWB is under 130. You say, I think, that it shows 87 supply from OWB, 77 return to OWB. On the other side, I would understand 82 into oil boiler, 109 out of oil boiler. So, if we take the cut in temp on your oil boiler of 130, and say the temp from the oil boiler going into the HX is 130, which shows on your pipe as 109. That is HIGHER than the supply (87) from the OWB into the HX, hence the reason the oil boiler still kicks on.
But like I said, it’s a bit foggy trying to understand while not being able to see from over 1,000 miles away.
Thank you for your reply.... Your correct of what your thinking, but keep in mind that it is being read with a infrared gun through 1"pex.... I have a out door boiler temp that far exceeds those temps and should be close to them at only 55' away. I am thinking of installing guages on the inside of the house coming into the hot plate and also at the return to the oil fired boiler to know exactly what my temps are and then know where my problem lies..... Thank your for your 1000 mile away efforts.....

Thank you for your reply.... Your correct of what your thinking, but keep in mind that it is being read with a infrared gun through 1"pex.... I have a out door boiler temp that far exceeds those temps and should be close to them at only 55' away. I am thinking of installing guages on the inside of the house coming into the hot plate and also at the return to the oil fired boiler to know exactly what my temps are and then know where my problem lies..... Thank your for your 1000 mile away efforts.....
That sounds like a good idea to get some temp readings with some inline gauges. Let us know what you find out.

Mr Salecker.... That system sounds interesting!!! I like that your call for the oil boiler is inline with the feed line!!! Thank you for all your replies and help... I shall continue playing with mine until i figure it out... Best of times and stay warm.... JOHN
If you look at my avatar picture you can see the two stubbed lines before the circ those are the lines for the oil boiler.