CL 6048

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nakoma

Nov 26, 2022
Kentucky
Hey everyone I found a CL6048 in my area for sale the guy is asking 2500… the fire place is cracked and needs to be welded..he is asking 2500… it’s an older one what would you guys consider a fair price to offer him. Just don’t want to insult him… I have no idea how many btu these puts out he doesn’t even know can anyone shed some light on this boiler

D4D16A31-C1EA-4103-BDCC-EC43977A8A78.png C3B5DD6F-1E22-46B3-859F-28EBF0614F1F.png

Where is it cracked at? Some places are very difficult to repair...and short lived sometimes too.
The 6048 is a monster and will make a ton of heat...but it is VERY hungry...my folks had one heating 2 houses and 2 shops...with poor quality line in the ground to boot...it used north of 20 cords per year! Like 20-25 would be an average range

He says it’s in the firebox I aske dhim
For a picture havnt got one yet
I personally wouldn't be willing to pay for that headache...it might, MAYBE worth the risk, if free.
For $2500 you should be able to find one in functioning condition...a thousand or two more and it might even be a fairly nice one...well, as "nice" as one of those forest eating smoke dragons can be.
Just to be clear, when my folks changed from their 6048 to a HeatMaster G10000 (the big one) wood usage dropped to 11 cords (so that's half!) and that was with still using the junk underground line...it has now been upgraded to Rehau line, so its expected that a couple/three more cords per year will drop off....and now you can't even tell if its running or not when you drive by...before the cloud blowing across the street was sometimes so thick that people would slow down to drive through it...not kidding!

thanks for the reply I found a sureflame vented one pretty cheap. I’ll use it for the greenhouse this season. Then mabe next season get me one in the fall. Or building a gasification one from a propane tank… ifnj can find some info thanks for the reply