CL seller who owns a moisture meter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocefus78

Minister of Fire
Jul 27, 2010
Just Outside Indy
I personally don't own a MM but I about fell out of my chair. I wonder if he knows to split it before testing???

Seasoned Firewood - $65 (Noblesville, Westfield, Carmel, Fishers,)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-10-11, 11:33AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardwood for sale! There is a mixture of different kinds of woods great for fireplace burning. The wood includes a mixture of ,oak, ash, and hickory. This wood contains approximately 20% moisture and great for the up coming winter months. My name is Tom and can be reached at 317-400-0155. Wood could be delivered same day. Ricks are 4x8 and sell for $65 pick up, $80 dollars dropped off on your driveway and $100 stacked where you would like it. Half Ricks available upon request. Please call @ 317-400-0155.

I also have wood that's great for bonfires at a discounted rate. Please call or e-mail if you have questions. I look forward to serving you soon!

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2643939093

Copyright © 2011 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback

Bocefus78 said:
This wood contains approximately 20% moisture

Where is the meter mentioned? Approximately is a relative term. Maybe his "meter" is whacking two splits together to see what they sound like.

glad you had some good luck... Today someone responded to one of my mails with this!

"It is going on 2 years that it has been cut and stacked. If you have any more questions you can call, 716-xxx-xxxx.

Thanks!"

He's selling Ash/maple for $65/face cord.
He only had 10 left as of last week, so I'll buy whatever he has left.
If it really has been 2 years... that ash should REALLY be ready to go.
and the maple as well.

Somebody else reported buying cut and stacked. It just hadn't been split until a few months before, and was still wet. Take your moisture meter...

DanCorcoran said:
Somebody else reported buying cut and stacked. It just hadn't been split until a few months before, and was still wet. Take your moisture meter...

That's why I said "If it's really"
But even if it's only been a year, or 3 seasons... it's ash so it should be okay.
maybe i'll pick out the maple and save it for next year
Kinda like when my dad eats something with broccoli in it.
I'm always amused watching a grown man picking the broccoli out of his food :p

edit;
im sorry, walnut/ash. not maple

I guess I should have said I'm 3 yrs ahead....I was just amazed that he even knew that 20 is "the magic number" after seeing the normal cl posts!

I do hear everyone however....its always buyer beware! If I was buying, is own a mm

I'd assume that the seller has been turned away before and lost some business due to not knowing whether or not his supply is dry. More like knowing it's green is more like it. So, to keep up with 'the knowing' wood customer he has advertised with a safe MC number. The ad still looks suspect...

He had me until he said "rick"...

Danno77 said:

It comes up time and time again but around here that is a "normal" term. I stack in 24' rows and will tell someone it's a cord of wood, they'll look at me and say that's more than a cord. Ummm no, it's a cord, not a face cord.<sigh> I find it easier anymore to tell people I have 15 cords on hand or 45 face cords.

Danno77 said:

submarine, hoagie, po-boy.

pen

Bocefus78 said:
I personally don't own a MM but I about fell out of my chair. I wonder if he knows to split it before testing???

Seasoned Firewood - $65 (Noblesville, Westfield, Carmel, Fishers,)

Date: 2011-10-11, 11:33AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Hardwood for sale! There is a mixture of different kinds of woods great for fireplace burning. The wood includes a mixture of ,oak, ash, and hickory. This wood contains approximately 20% moisture and great for the up coming winter months. My name is Tom and can be reached at 317-400-0155. Wood could be delivered same day. Ricks are 4x8 and sell for $65 pick up, $80 dollars dropped off on your driveway and $100 stacked where you would like it. Half Ricks available upon request. Please call @ 317-400-0155.

I also have wood that's great for bonfires at a discounted rate. Please call or e-mail if you have questions. I look forward to serving you soon!

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2643939093

Copyright © 2011 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback

Selling in those citys at that price and he will be sold out in two weeks!

pen said:
Danno77 said:

pen

Wait, is po-boy generic for a sub?

Here on Cape Cod, the seafood capitol of the Universe, a poor boy is a fried oyster sandwich with roast beef.

Dune said:
pen said:
Danno77 said:

pen

Here on Cape Cod, the seafood capitol of the Universe, a poor boy is a fried oyster sandwich with roast beef.

In Louisiana po-boy means sub.

rdust said:
Danno77 said:

It comes up time and time again but around here that is a "normal" term. I stack in 24' rows and will tell someone it's a cord of wood, they'll look at me and say that's more than a cord. Ummm no, it's a cord, not a face cord.<sigh> I find it easier anymore to tell people I have 15 cords on hand or 45 face cords.

Simple, but efficient. Measure the length of the stacks, divide by 3, and voila! Cords. Assuming the wood is of appropriate length of course. Hadn't given it much thought, but this is what I need to do. The wood stacked on pallets will be a bit trickier, but that's for next year anyway.

Wood Duck said:
Dune said:
pen said:
Danno77 said:

pen

Thanks.

JV_Thimble said:
rdust said:
Danno77 said:

Simple, but efficient. Measure the length of the stacks, divide by 3, and voila! Cords. Assuming the wood is of appropriate length of course. Hadn't given it much thought, but this is what I need to do. The wood stacked on pallets will be a bit trickier, but that's for next year anyway.
Not so simple. I've got the same number of rows (read:face cords) as I did last year, but this year I have almost exactly half a cord more. Wanna guess why that is? I'll give you a hint: I have a new stove.

Wood Duck said:
Dune said:
pen said:
Danno77 said:

pen

Wedge here in lower NY.

Danno77 said:
JV_Thimble said:
rdust said:
Danno77 said:

Not so simple. I've got the same number of rows (read:face cords) as I did last year, but this year I have almost exactly half a cord more. Wanna guess why that is? I'll give you a hint: I have a new stove.

Yes, I get it. It's quite a difference communicating with folks here (cords) than with the ambiguous terms generally used. This will be my first full season with a new stove as well, so I want to track usage accurately by using cords.

Flatbedford said:
Wood Duck said:
Dune said:
pen said:
Danno77 said:

pen

Wedge here in lower NY.

wait....submarine,hoagie,grinder,gyro,rick,and po-boy are NOT units of wood measurement?? i'll just stick with chords, er cords :grrr:

I have never paid for wood, yet, but around here it sells for $65 a pick up load. Before you ask, his pick up. I don't know anyone who sells by the cord. There are very few sellers and I know them personally and they do sell good seasoned wood.

Flatbedford said:
Wood Duck said:
Dune said:
pen said:
Danno77 said:

pen

Wedge here in lower NY.

Thanks, I was trying to remember that.

Status
Not open for further replies.