Class a Chimney questions??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that the stuff from big big stores often has thinner stainless, it's all tested the same but it wrinkles and dents much easier than the higher end stuff. Another thing to keep in mind, if you choose cheap pipe and they discontinue it, you won't be able to get replacement parts in the future if needed.

webby3650 said:
I know that the stuff from big big stores often has thinner stainless, it's all tested the same but it wrinkles and dents much easier than the higher end stuff. Another thing to keep in mind, if you choose cheap pipe and they discontinue it, you won't be able to get replacement parts in the future if needed.
I have never bought the pipe at the big stores but if it is thinner in should be in the specs and I dont believe this is a cheaper pipe that will be discontinued by any means.

yea I don't believe so either because it has the exact same part # as I have seen on lots of other sites that specialize in just chimney pipes and components an almost half the price....I don't see where I can go wrong. Thanks for the input guys, you have all been very helpful....now off to plow some snow

I have installed lots of each, and I assure you, the cheap pipe will dent very easy compared to the pipe you would get from a hearth store, like Dura-tech for example. This is simply an aesthetics issue, it will perform just fine. I see people that often need a part as simple as a stove pipe adapter for a pipe that is no longer made, when they installed it they didn't think this pipe would be discontinued either. Just a thought, I would go with a good name and a good price.

webby3650 said:
I have installed lots of each, and I assure you, the cheap pipe will dent very easy compared to the pipe you would get from a hearth store, like Dura-tech for example. This is simply an aesthetics issue, it will perform just fine. I see people that often need a part as simple as a stove pipe adapter for a pipe that is no longer made, when they installed it they didn't think this pipe would be discontinued either. Just a thought, I would go with a good name and a good price.
webby-the pipe he is looking at is the same as what you buy online and one of the 3 brands that are the most popular, this is not some off brand pipe.

Not at all, As I said I have used it several times, it is all tested to the same standards. Some pipe has a lower grade of stainless that allows it to dent and wrinkle easier, it is only a cosmetic issue.

Well I checked on some prices and what type of pipe at the hearth stores in my area and found out that they are selling and using the same brands of pipe as home depot or lowes, but at almost double the price....so home depot it is.

They should be offering some different stuff, well this makes your decision easy!

Status
Not open for further replies.