Classic Bay 1200 auger failure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanf289

Jan 30, 2013
My stove is less than a year old, but it will be a week before the tech can come out. I took it apart to work through the troubleshooting list. Snap disk #2 has good continuity (0.2 Ohms) and the same with the vacuum switch. I pulled the connector off the auger motor, and was only reading 16.4 Vac from the controller. The motor I.D. plate lists it as a 120 Vac motor. Is there anything that I am missing that I should look at? Or Should I just wait and make sure the tech brings a new controller?

Hello

What happens when you turn up the t-Stat to start the stove? Does if feed pellets at startup?
If you put 120v on the auger feed motor with a line cord, does the auger turn?

Clean the venting, I am sure it is blocked. The other place to look is the hopper, how full is it when you are attempt to run it?

Eric

I emptied the hopper last night while attempting to diagnose the problem. The auger was no jammed, I believe the control box to be the issue, because there is no power to the motor.

could possibly be a simple jam. had the first jam ever on my PS50 yesterday morning. vacuumed out the auger channel and didn't see any thing.
was sure something had failed until i cleared the top of the auger by poking the cleaning tool up the pellet drop chute.
a very small amount of pellets dropped out and covered up the auger in the hopper so it would have good vacuum and away it went.

i think the cb1200 is what the PS50 is most closely related to. if it has the same auger set up, i would definitely check that.

Reactions: kinsmanstoves
Auger jams are our most frequent service call. "Let save money and buy outside stored pellets from a big box store then call Eric to fix our stove". Then they get the $125 service call bill. Gotta love people.

Eric

Auger and tube is completely empty, that had no effect on the function of the auger

yeah. mine was the same. emptied out the tube completely. so at first i was sure some component had failed
the jam was at the top end though. poked the cleaning tool (coat hangar works too) up the chute from inside and that's where the few pellets fell out from.
worked after that. (after i put more pellets in to cover the tube. have to do that to re establish vacuum if the tube has been emptied)

it may be something else. but i hope it's just this.

What does your venting consist of and please do not post "up and out". Please list each part and diameter of venting.

Stove all 3" (duravent I believe)
90 degree elbow
16" straight
90 degree elbow
24" through the wall
45 degree termination piece.

Apx. 42" of vent ducting

when was the last time you tore it apart or snaked a brush through 100% of it?

There is our problem.

Anyone wanna take my bet? 5$, anyone? Hello anyone?

my money is still on upper auger jam. just not sure if i wrote clearly enough in my first reply that it was the inner drop chute i cleared eventually.
i was a little non specific with my words. ( see second reply)
in any case, i hope ryanf get's it sorted soon.
i was so relieved when mine started working again. felt the oil heat for one blast and was reminded of how much it sucks.

* i only learned this yesterday when my dealer talked me through it on the phone. so now my dealer is one for one on service. ;lol

much rather see a tee coming out the rear of the stove cause it will be hard to get that clean without ripping it apart. there should also be an adapter in there.

Completely pulled the auger and checked the chute, completely clear.

Disconnected the ducting and ran a brush through it. I also removed the inspection cover, vacuumed out the chamber and cleaned the exhaust fan. Though I like the idea of the tee for cleaning. The problem still persists.

Damn! just going over the basics, ash pan sealed, door is closed and snug (dollar bill test), wired thermostat connected and no breaks in the wires, if remote (new batteries), hopper lid shut and magnetic switch making contact? Remember there is a switch there on two year old units.

If you put 120v on the auger feed motor with a line cord, does the auger turn?
Did you try what Don suggested? Run 120v direct to the auger motor....if it turns continually, your issue is either the vacuum switch, or vacuum tube is clogged. Jumping the vacuum switch may tell something too.

Wired thermostat, the call light is on and the exhaust fan starts. Not a problem with the vacuum, perfect continuity on the vacuum switch while running. All of the snap disks test good. The only things left on the troubleshooting list are feed motor defective or control box defective.

Can I go into the control box and use a jumper to determine whether or not the feed motor works? Then that would leave only the control box.

run 120V straight to the auger. Leave the box alone.

I only suggest the idea of jumping the control box so that I can leave all the factory fuses in the loop.

would not worry about that as long as you are checking. You blow the fuse in the box and you are hosed.

Status
Not open for further replies.