Classic Bay 1200 feed failure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sheanair

Sep 1, 2018
Ontario, Canada
My 2008 Classic Bay started making a godawful clicking noise from the feed motor housing, then decided to stop feeding pellets. I have opened it up and made sure there was no pellet blockage in the auger, etc. Checked the snap discs - okay. When the stove is turned on, the exhaust blower starts up, the pellet red light on the control box comes on, the fan speeds up, but no pellets drop into the hopper. The auger does not turn. Am I correct in assuming that the auger motor has burned out and needs replacement?

My 2008 Classic Bay started making a godawful clicking noise from the feed motor housing, then decided to stop feeding pellets. I have opened it up and made sure there was no pellet blockage in the auger, etc. Checked the snap discs - okay. When the stove is turned on, the exhaust blower starts up, the pellet red light on the control box comes on, the fan speeds up, but no pellets drop into the hopper. The auger does not turn. Am I correct in assuming that the auger motor has burned out and needs replacement?

Found my problem. Everything checked out fine, but I found a post online that stated the sequence of events a classic bay uses to start up. I had not refilled the hopper with pellets, so that I could observe the auger to see if it was turning. This was a mistake - the hopper has to have enough pellets to cover the exit hole to create the vacuum that the stove needs to start the feed motor. Once I partially filled the hopper, everything started up perfectly. I have attached the file showing the sequence of events a Classic Bay uses.

Attachments

• The Sequence.png
    The Sequence.png
    102.8 KB · Views: 81
I forgot to mention that the original problem was a small blockage in the vacuum hose right by the feed motor housing. I sucked it out and got a mouthful of sawdust.

Good Work! That is great info!!
That is one of my all time 2 favorite stoves!
It is a solid reliable stove!