Clay thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Hampshire

Nov 9, 2008
Southern NH
Wondering if anyone can help me with a flue project. I just removed a brick hearth in my kitchen. It was in the way (the kitchen is very small), and the woodstove that had been sitting on it was never used...not to mention it was venting into a flue it shared with the furnace. I still use the furnace, so I just want to cap the horizontal pipe and build a new wall where the brick was.
The problem is the horizonal thimble that protrudes from my concrete chimney is too long. It sticks out several inches past where the new wall needs to go. Is it possible to cut the thimble shorter? I think it's clay, but I'm not sure. I'm afraid it might shatter when I try to cut it. And once it's cut to size, how can I safely cap it? Right now there's metal stove pipe inserted in the thimble, and the cap over the that pipe is taped on.
Any ideas? Thanks!

A clay thimble can be cut with a masonry cutting disk on an angle grinder or with a ceramic blade in a sawzall.

Matt

I wouldn't cut it if it's clay and it's in your kitchen/living area...too much mess....break it back with some kind of thudding device. As for capping it I don't know if anyone makes a cap/plug. If not I'd prolly brick n' mortar it shut and build my wall as required.

New Hampshire said:
Good point. Thank you!

No problem but do some proper snooping on capping it. My opinion of what i'd do is just that. You could probably get a chimney sweep out to your place and give proper advice for next to nothing though I am not so sure capping a furnace chimney is a big deal. Better safe than sorry though.

Status
Not open for further replies.