Cleaned it......eh.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fod01

Feeling the Heat
Nov 4, 2008
Long Island
Cleaned my liner with the Sooteater. External chimney, cape cod. Got about 4 cups of coffee grounds. Not thrilled, but I don't remember if I swept after last Spring's shoulder season.

Some of the wood I am burning isn't perfect, so I'll have at it again in another month or so.

Gabe

Reactions: loon
Sounds like a plan

Good day to do it . Checking ours tomorrow.

Less slippery after the sun comes out :mad:

Cleaned mine too and got more than I wanted. Didn't measure but it was more than 4 cups. Stuff I'm burning is all 1+ year seasoned but isn't perfect. Next year everything will be 2+ years. So should continue to get better.

I care less about how much and more about the consistency of the stuff. Folks always talk about how much they got out of a pipe and I for the life of me never remember them saying how tall the pipe is. Longer pipe = more crud in the pipe. Shorter pipe = more on the neighbor's car.

The stuff I got out was light and flaky

cleaned mine the other day....not real good, but then i run it on the low side and accept that i'll clean the chimney a couple times a year at least. its easy to do, i just pop the pipe of the top of the stove....slip pipe makes that easy.....and do it from inside with a small hole poked through a plastic bag for the brush to go through and a little painters tape to hold the bag to the thimble. i take the two sections of pipe that were on the stove outside and brush them down real good and back together it goes....all total 20-30 minutes tops.

cass

When I last did my sweep it wasn't flaky at all - just dusty and very lightweight although dark in color. Made it quite the mess to contain as it seemed to want to go airborne and then stick to any/everything it could (i.e. side of house, my drill, the bag I was collecting it in (the outside is where it wanted to stick) and of course, me. I wondered if perhaps the sooteater broke up any flakes into this dust or if I just didn't have flakes...

It looks like I'm not the orphaned step-child of Hearth.com after all.
We're not heroes either, but I guess we're burning ok:cool:

BTW - the draft was so strong, I didn't bother to hook up the vac this time.

Gabe

I would love to get zero ash out of the chimney, but I always get some ash and a little shiny creosote too. It is an affront to my perfection as a woodburner, but as long as I'm aware of the buildup and cleaning the chimney regularly it is not a danger.

Don't forget to clean the stove pipe inside the house too. After seeing pics of somebody's stove pipe on this forum, I cleaned mine for the first time in a long time last week. It was a lot dirtier than the chimney was. I figured I wouldn't get much buildup in the indoor pipe because it is lose to the stove and should be pretty hot most of the time. Apparently that isn't true.

I figured I wouldn't get much buildup in the indoor pipe because it is lose to the stove and should be pretty hot most of the time. Apparently that isn't true.
I got more out of my pipe than I thought too, mostly in the horizontal run into the wall. I think I may change it from an elbow to two 45 bends so I can eliminate as much of the horizontal run as possible

I would love to get zero ash out of the chimney, but I always get some ash and a little shiny creosote too. It is an affront to my perfection as a woodburner, but as long as I'm aware of the buildup and cleaning the chimney regularly it is not a danger.

Don't forget to clean the stove pipe inside the house too. After seeing pics of somebody's stove pipe on this forum, I cleaned mine for the first time in a long time last week. It was a lot dirtier than the chimney was. I figured I wouldn't get much buildup in the indoor pipe because it is lose to the stove and should be pretty hot most of the time. Apparently that isn't true.

At the slip of the adjustable stovepipe is the only place I ever get any ash/soot. Rest of the chimney and cap are clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.