Cleaned my chimney liner - pics and question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I've had my 6" flexible chimney liner in for a few seasons now. When I clean it I'm just knocking loose soot off with the 6" plastic brush but it seems like lots of soot stays in the crevices. I bet just as much stays in the cracks as gets knocked loose from the very inner surface. Is there a better approach for a DIY homeowner to clean the flex liners?

yq7xiL0h.jpg

BTLhVcul.jpg

Try the sooteater rotary tool. It’s a whip that spins. May hit those crevices with more detail

That is a good suggestion. But the top of your liner does not seem to be terminated properly at all.

The insulation is exposed on the top edge. That allows moisture and creosote to sleep in. The outer liner should be cut below the top plate any the top plate should be smaller so it clamps to the inner liner.

You got a pic that shows it like that?

You got a pic that shows it like that?
I do not. But if that insulation gets wet and saturated with creosote it can't possibly do it's job