Cleaned stove with powerful shop vac instead of a leaf blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveo

Hearth Supporter
Jun 6, 2008
Maine
I finally got around to doing the final year end cleaning of my stove. I have been reading about the leaf blower method and was going to try that. I have a super powerful shop vac that I figured I would try before screwing with my leaf blower. I hooked it up to my pipe outside and then duct taped the shop vac hose to the pipe and holy crap I could not believe all the stuff coming out and creating a huge black cloud.

I already did what I thought was a thorough cleaning of the stove on the inside. I scraped and vacuumed everything and even removed the pipe and cleaned that. I am not sure where all the stuff came from that my shop vac was shooting out, but I do know it came from somewhere I could not see. I was also impressed with the power of shop vac, I opened the stove door wile the shop vac was running and the suction was so strong that it was not easy to open the door. So I guess this will be added to my cleaning schedule from now on.

what HP / AMP is your shop vac...

Maybe but the shop vac is good enough for me. I will see how it burns when it gets cold again this fall.

when I cleaned mine a month ago I also used my small shop vac, the one I use inside for cleaning the stove, and it worked pretty good, very good I'd say.
I have another bigger shop vac in the basement (more powerful) that I intend to use soon.

When I used the small vac I could hear the suction if I opened the front door of the stove, so I knew it was working good.

Status
Not open for further replies.