Cleaning Breckwell P24i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sam1969

Feb 26, 2009
New Hampshire
I have a Breckwell P24i inserted into a masonry fireplace with 4" pellet pipe running all the way up the chimney. I perform regular maintenance and cleaning, but having burned through over 3 tons of pellets this winter, it is time for a more thorough cleaning. Two items I am unsure about. 1) How do I remove the vertical vent pipe from the exhaust (in order to clean it out) if the installer secured the pipe with silicone high-temp sealant? There is no T-connector as in the freestanding units. 2.) How do I clean the combustion blower? I have seen postings that indicate that you need to take the blower out of the unit to clean it, but I don't see any instructions in the P24 manual for how to do this.

Hi Sam,
The only way to clean out/brush your venting, if in fact there is no cleanout Tee, is to remove the pipe off the exhaust outlet and/or screws holding such, and then when you're done re-seal with high temp silicone. To bad it was not installed with a Tee - sure makes it easier for inspection throughout the season and eventual cleaning. The combustion fan motor should come off by removing a few screws - the motor itself is usually mounted to a round plate that is secured to the main housing with several screws - and the is a round gasket "sandwiched" between. If you don't see this type of mounting, it may be necessary to remove the whole combustion fan assembly in which the exhaust would need disconnected from the exhaust stub of the housing. Hope that makes sense or answers your questions. It's been awhile since I worked on one of those units. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for help if needed!

the last guy pretty much hit the nail on the head
anywho, if you take off your flashing and pull your stove out a little, you should be able to get at the combustion blower, it is on the right if you are facing the stove. i think there are six 1/4'' screws holding the motor to the housing, if you take those screws out you can pop the motor right out. If you want, you can unplug the motor from the wires and take the motor outside for a thourough cleaning with a good wire brush. After you are done with that you can stick you smallest vaccum attachment into where the motor was and vacuum all up in there, and even reach some of the pipe. If you have your heart set on cleaning that pipe you can remove the piece the the apliance adpt. is attached to and maybe get a brush up there. good luck

no problemo, if you have any other breckwell questions let me know, and just pellet questions in general for that matter

Status
Not open for further replies.