Cleaning Castile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ablejoy

Feeling the Heat
Today I tore down my Castile stove its had an exhuast leak since I bought it in 2006. I removerd the combustion blower and housing and will reseal all the pipe leaving the stove. I have to order the blower housing gasket it came apart. This time I siliconed the the stove pipe adaptor inside the double wall, cleaned all parts of the stove. I found a leak at the exhaust connection of the blower housing and the fitting for the stove adaptor. Used 500 degree clear rtv silicon I hope this will cure my leaks. I will clean the stove pipe when stove is back together. Looking to use a leaf blower as my last step.

Attachments

• DSCN1325.jpg
    DSCN1325.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 404
  • DSCN1324.jpg
    DSCN1324.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 401
I had the same problem with my castile. I also purchased a high temp o-ring from a local place to stop the pipe from leaking where it connected to the stove.

AZ how hard was it to remove the blower housing?
You must have disconnected the stove and turned it around to get at the back.

Smalltown

I had to get the stove adaptor lose in order to remove the cover in the back of the stove. The stove came apart pretty easy after I got the stove adaptor lose. I was not able to remove the stove adaptor from the exhaust pipe tee look like a good seal still. I was worred about getting the tee loose from the 4" pipe that could get costly.

You need to drop the room blower then remove the large cover I took pictures of all the conectors on the stove so I can reassemble with out to much trouble. One other cover then remove the exhaust blower and then the exhaust housing. My gasket came apart and new one should be here monday I already have the other gasket. My pipe was lose at the connection in the picture. The stove was pulled apart 3 time by the installers and I guess the broke the silicon lose. I wanted to check and see how much ash was in the stove pipe and was not bad at all. I also wanted to clean the blower. I will be doing the leaf blower when its back together. You also need to remove the side covers first step afer pulling the power plug. The gasket is about $10.00 plus shipping its a thick gasket I was going to silicon but would be hard to get loose later.

I will post some pictures tomorrow of the stove apart.
Eric

I did the leaf blower clean after doing a pretty good cleaning this spring but didn't remove any motors or fans. I pulled the combustion fan last week figuring I would find the back side of the combustion fan caked with gunk. I found nothing to clean other than a little wire brush work here and there on rust. I guess I must do a fair job of cleaning through the winter.

Smalltown

A few more pics of stove torn down cleaning tomorrow and reassembly hopefully
Will try and post two more pictures later

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 262
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 258
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 258
last pictures will take pictures of reassembly

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 266
AZ thanks for the photos. You've certainly got that taken apart. The area from the exhaust motor housing to the rear stove pipe is almost impossible to verify clean unless taken apart as you did.

I've got two things to do right off:
I need to remove the back and pull the exhaust motor for cleaning. I bought a new gasket they sure are expensive (would like to find the material to make my own)

At the end of last season I noticed paint flaking off around the heat exchanger tubes of the front of the stove. Last night I noticed flaking inside the fire box up top on the tubes and a now little surface rust on the corners just below the clean-out sliders. Rather than using the Quad supplied stove paint I was wondering about using a Rustoleum paint. Since these are small areas and I didn't want to spray in the living room I thought perhaps I could spray in a cup and apply it on with a small paint brush.

smalltown
Buy the gasket from wood heat stoves $9.00 plush shipping here's a link Bruce will give a discount for members on larger items. I like there service and advice.
http://woodheatstoves.com/quadrafire-pellet-stove-parts-c-292_90_221_170.html?page=5&sort=20a
I think I would use a barbecue paint high temp type
Dealer here wanted $50.00 for this same gasket
I tried running a rag through through the exhaust pipe after removing the blower motor it worked but never know if I got it all.

Finally up and running no leaks and ready for some cold weather

Attachments

• DSCN1356.jpg
    DSCN1356.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 171
Status
Not open for further replies.