Cleaning door glass on Woodstock Soapstone Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terry kohlman

Oct 14, 2009
WI
We're thinking of changing from our Vermont Casting stove to a Woodstock Soapstone. Big concern is the glass front to the Woodstock is not a door which you can open and clean the glass, which I have to do every morning with our current. stove. Woodstock says their air current system keeps the glass clean, and if it doesn't, then a 500 degree fire will burn it clean. Does anyone know if this works? Otherwise you would have to reach in from the side door and try to clean the inside glass.

Yes a good hot fire does wonders to clean the glass. Several low burns will "smoke" it up a little, but a hot burn will take that off.
That said, on occasion I will allow the stove to cool off, take a soft bristled paint brush to dust off any fly ash that has accumulated, then some 0000 steel wool dipped into fine ash and that takes care of any film that has accumulated. A room temperature stove is key here, you don't want to do this with the glass hot.

terry kohlman said:
We're thinking of changing from our Vermont Casting stove to a Woodstock Soapstone. Big concern is the glass front to the Woodstock is not a door which you can open and clean the glass, which I have to do every morning with our current. stove. Woodstock says their air current system keeps the glass clean, and if it doesn't, then a 500 degree fire will burn it clean. Does anyone know if this works? Otherwise you would have to reach in from the side door and try to clean the inside glass.

My glass only gets a slight white film on it after about a month of 24/7 burning, even low burns. It wipes off with a damp paper towel. Very impressed on how clean this glass stays.

Mines only been going for a bout a week now, 24 hours a day, and the glass looks the same as it did a when we lit the fire last week.

With my old VC I had a habit of cleaning the slight 'grey' to occasional black edges off the glass each couple days.

I have only had some darkening of the glass on the Fireview during the initial 2-3 burn-in fires. That burned off on fire 4 or 5 and I have not seen anything since then. I have seen some ash on the glass but it seems to blow off when I crank the air at first light-off for the most part. I have really been impressed with how clean and clear the glass has remained despite the fact that all of my fires thus far have been on the cool side - 300ish surface temp and very long, no flame type of burns.

I'm sure good dry wood has something to do with it, but the airwash clearly is doing it's job. You can see it in the flame patterns - when the wood is burning bright I have seen flames whipped down the front of the stove toward the bottom (generally a sure sign I need to turn the air down btw).

Welcome to the forum Terry.

In the Spring of the year after we let the fire go out I will clean it. I take a page of newspaper, sprinkle some water on it, just barely touch some ashes and clean it that way. It come clean extremely easy. For a final touch-up you can also use some windex or something similar. But as others have stated, it stays pretty darned clean so you won't be cleaning it very often for sure.

Terry, if you decide to buy this stove you will be in for a real treat. Actually, several treats. First and foremost is the company. This is an old-time type of company that will work with you. They are not high-pressure sales people and most there are extremely knowledgeable about the stoves. You can even pick your colors.

After getting the stove you will be treated with a different feeling heat; wonderful all the way. You will be treated to a beautiful flame and fire show. You will also be treated to the same or more heat using less fuel. That is one huge plus. For example: after installing our Fireview, it took us 2 years to burn the same amount of wood it would have taken in 1 year with our old stove.

Good luck to you.

What he said. I now know what the "soft heat" thing is all about. the whole house just feels warm and nice, not hot, but warm.

Hey, you people are great. I go thru about 3 to 4 full cords a year, so the stove is for function, not effect. So...when you do clean the glass I assume you get at the inside from the side loading door? Seems awkward but if it works without too much cussing, that's geat. And yeah, I clean my VC with a newspaper too. If it's bad, I dip a damp sponge in some ash, clean, then dry with a paper towel.

Yes, right through the fire door. It is a little clumsy but all it takes is a couple of wipes and you are done. Quick and easy.

I am sort of neurotic about clean glass.

I switched from an Avalon stove (big glass door) which I used to clean daily (and even while it was hot) to the Fireview (no glass door). I had several sleepless nights worrying about keeping the glass clean once I made the Fireview purchase.

I have had the stove for about 2 months and and have been burning it daily for the last 3 weeks. Here are my thoughts.

The initial burns resulted in the glass becoming dirty. Some of this burned off with hot fires, but, most didn't. I was getting frustrated thinking I made a bad stove decision, then after about the 4 or 5th fire like magic, I began having almost no issues with the glass becoming dirty. Only on rare occasions if I burn real low will I get som buildup on the edges of the window.

Regarding cleaning: This is a little challenging due to the side door and the "Andirons" wich do not move. So you have to snake your hand and cloth between the andirons and the glass which is not all that difficult, however, it is pretty hard to do without getting soot on your hands. That being said I only do this maybe once a week.

A forum member mentioned using "Greased lightning" as a cleaning agent. I happended to have some around and it works like magic.

So overall....

1) After the intial burn-in fires the glass stays amazingly clean. Enough to keep me satisfied.

2) Cleaning is more difficult than stove with doors but not very difficult and since I do it so infrequently, it isn't a real problem.

Rick D

Status
Not open for further replies.