Cleaning help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all getting ready to drop my liner in today I just cut the damper out and found what I think is creosote on the bricks. I had the fule cleaned but these spots were hidden. How clean do I need to get it and what's the best tool for the job

15752195291362001594223129881876.jpg

That’s one rough smoke chamber! You need a smoke chamber broom. You spin it with a drill and it expands like don kings hair to clean all the crevices.

I found the attachment online but nothing around me in stores. I got a few hand brushes to try and do the best I can. How do I know when its clean enough

I found the attachment online but nothing around me in stores. I got a few hand brushes to try and do the best I can. How do I know when its clean enough
Can’t you just take a floor broom and get most of it?

How clean does it need to be. I called the sweep company that I had do it and kindly told to bad

Last edited:
Its looking better I have every brush I could think of with me stuffed through the damper working. There is still some wedged into the motor joints but I cant reach it with anything
15752319525677185871301009805023.jpg

Man that looks knarly to clean. I would think that would be good judging by just a pic but im no sweep. It doesnt look like there is enough creosote if any to be a danger to cause a chimney fire.

Both of mine looked like that but not as much creosote more black soot than anything , fireplaces had gas logs at one time. I put a brush on a shop vac connected several hoses together and ran it outside the house. That seemed to work well.