Cleaning inside of stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg60

Apr 2, 2009
naugatuck,ct
Does anyone know of a cheap vacuum to vacuum out the inside of the stove when doing a cleaning. I have seen them priced at $275.00. Also how often do you have to take down your stove for a cleaning of the soot buildup?

Most people use a shop vac..usually after a ton of pellets I do a through cleaning.

richg60 said:
Does anyone know of a cheap vacuum to vacuum out the inside of the stove when doing a cleaning. I have seen them priced at $275.00. Also how often do you have to take down your stove for a cleaning of the soot buildup?

I use a shop vac with a hepa filter. Works great. I let my stove cool for a little more than an hour before doing. I store the vac out in the shed JIC. As the cleaning of the stove. One a week for me. And I do the vent pipe after every ton. Leave blower once a season.

You manual for the stove should give a detailed list for the maintenance required.

What stove are you using?

jay

I use a cheap $40 shop vac (5 gallon) from Wally world and the dry wall dust bags (around $12 dollars for 3 bags) Scoop out every bit of ash you can see and vacuum. I still have a new bag left from last year.

Well if you live on a lower level do what i do and leave the vac outside while cleaning. I have a drywall bag on it and a extension hose attached. I clean everything up and brush into ash pan then vac up the rest. This way there is no dust in the house at all. Works too well.... (or you canb ask slick for some help.)

woodsman23 said:
.....(or you can ask slick for some help.)

I agree with Jay & Woodsman...even a small shop vac will work. Just make sure the stove has sat for at least an hour before cleaning.

This is the one I bought to keep up on the main floor to use w/ the stove, or anything else that comes along. You can get drywall bags that can be cut to fit it too....cheaper than the HEPA filter:

www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-We...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I found it on sale last winter....I think I paid $22.99.

Oh, and DON'T ask SlickPlant about cleaning....she'll go off on a rant about how Woodsman told her to cut her bush because of sparks :lol:

woodsman23 said:
Well if you live on a lower level do what i do and leave the vac outside while cleaning. I have a drywall bag on it and a extension hose attached. I clean everything up and brush into ash pan then vac up the rest. This way there is no dust in the house at all. Works too well.... (or you canb ask slick for some help.)

Slickplant, woodsman is wondering how clean your stove is. Please email him directly at [email protected], he will gladly come to your home and help you troubleshoot your spark, shrub, fly ash, water hose issues anytime, day or night. He can be reached at 800-wood-man. If you know what I mean ;-)

macman said:
woodsman23 said:
.....(or you can ask slick for some help.)

I agree with Jay & Woodsman...even a small shop vac will work. Just make sure the stove has sat for at least an hour before cleaning.

This is the one I bought to keep up on the main floor to use w/ the stove, or anything else that comes along. You can get drywall bags that can be cut to fit it too....cheaper than the HEPA filter:

www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-We...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I found it on sale last winter....I think I paid $22.99.

Oh, and DON'T ask SlickPlant about cleaning....she'll go off on a rant about how Woodsman told her to cut her bush because of sparks :lol:

Hey Mac once you get a hot bush then you will think twice about how close you put your vent pipe to it. !! :)

Jeez, mac, I need to cut the bushes? Please, no, not again! Yep, shop vac all the way here, the tiger vacs are great units, but way out of the gotz budget. Most important thing here is that you do NOT want to suck up hot embers, then you have a pellet stove inside your vac, not cool unless you're doing a myth busters show. Embers stay hot a long time, esp when buried in ash, so best bet is to let the stove cool very well, scrape and brush it down, catch as much in the ash pan as possible and empty that, then vac. That way your odds of having hot embers are minimal and fouling the filter in the vac is too. After cleaning, empty the vac contents into a metal container with lid, i.e. metal trash can, and leave both vac and container outside where they won't burn your house down if they happen to want a myth busters episode deal.

GotzTheHotz said:
Jeez, mac, I need to cut the bushes? Please, no, not again!

.......let the stove cool very well, scrape and brush it down, catch as much in the ash pan as possible and empty that, then vac......

Yep, keep that bush trimmed. i actually like the "no bush at all" look when things get hot. ;-)

Seriously, I agree w/ Hotz 100%...get as much of the ashes in the ash pan as you can first, then get your ash outta there!

Sorry, got off the subject. Yea, don't burn your house down.

I started out doing the shop-vac w/ drywall/hepa filter routine, but found that when you use the super fine particle filters they tend to clog up very quickly and you lose your suction power. I scrimped and saved and got "Santa" to kick in on a Loveless ash vac. Loud? Galdarn right it's loud. But it's all metal w/ a metal hose so worry much less about accidentally sucking up embers. And my favorite feature, basically the reason I suckered myself into it, is that you can "clean" the filter bag w/out having to open the unit up. It's got a little "shaker handle" that allows you to clean/bang off the filter bag at any time so you always have full power. She's gone from suck to blow!!
j

StrangeRanger said:
I started out doing the shop-vac w/ drywall/hepa filter routine, but found that when you use the super fine particle filters they tend to clog up very quickly and you lose your suction power. I scrimped and saved and got "Santa" to kick in on a Loveless ash vac. Loud? Galdarn right it's loud. But it's all metal w/ a metal hose so worry much less about accidentally sucking up embers. And my favorite feature, basically the reason I suckered myself into it, is that you can "clean" the filter bag w/out having to open the unit up. It's got a little "shaker handle" that allows you to clean/bang off the filter bag at any time so you always have full power. She's gone from suck to blow!!

j

If I could afford one of those, I wouldn't need it.

richg60 said:

hey rich, welcome to the forum, i'm also in naugy, enjoy your stay, lots of great info here on this site and specially good folks willing to help anytime...

Status
Not open for further replies.