Cleaning Metalbestos Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecolbeck

Aug 25, 2008
MA
Greetings Hearth People,

I want to clean and inspect my metalbestos chimney. the chimney is new and our woodstove, a Jotul Firelight F12, is new to us. I am hoping that I can clean the chimney from the inside of the house since it extends 9 feet above the roof (chimney exits near eave), the roof is made of slate making it difficult to work on. I would rather not have to disassemble a chimney on a steep, slippery, delicate, snow covered roof while the wind blows and the temperature is 15 degrees (I guess I'm a wimp). The metalbestos terminates at the ceiling of the room where the stove is located and stove pipe extends down to the stove itself. I am tempted to remove the stove pipe and brush the chimney from the bottom up, but I am afraid of making a significant mess as well as introducing carcinogens into the kitchen area where the stove is located (we have a four month old baby). We do have a HEPA vacuum which we purchased previously to aid in removal of possible lead paint issues and could be used to clean up soot etc. Your advice is much appreciated,

Eric

A builder friend of mine uses these to contain dust when he's working in an occupied building.

Link: http://www.curtain-wall.com/

I think he bought his at one of those bigbox stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.