Cleaning Mt. Vernon AE burn pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmith

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2009
Kutztown, PA
I recently replaced my burn pot after I was given a new one under warranty for a burned out ignitor. I had already modified my old one to look like the new and would like to keep it as a spare. When I removed it, it had alot of hard burned on clinker on it that I tried to scrape off. I had burned corn in it last year and it may have been from that. I know I had heard that Harman stove owners soak their pots in water to clean and I was wondering if this would be ok for the Quad as well?

its cast iron isn't it ?
if so it just seems wrong to soak cast iron in water.
maybe something non corrosive ?

soak it in water

Bench grinder with a wire wheel works awesome. One customer had one, and since I had the pot out he went and shined it up. Looked better than brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.