Cleaning my chimney took 7 hours!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
Got home ~4PM. Changed clothes and headed out to the garage. Looked for my poly brush and rods for a while until I found them and then headed to the roof. Had to shovel off a spot so I could get up there without slipping in the snow.

Chimney was swept and I was off the roof by 5PM. Took the chimney cap and turned it upside down in the driveway, dumped mineral spirits all over it and then lit it off with the propane torch. Once it stopped burning and cooled off, I brushed it off with a wire brush and wiped it down with paper towel. Looked pretty good actually. Headed back up to the roof and put the cap back on.

Went to the basement and pulled the stove pipe from the liner. I would estimate that I maybe had a little over a quart of junk that I pulled out of the T from ~2 months of 24/7 burning. Not too bad for my first year burning and a non-EPA wood furnace. I went to clean out the stove pipe and realized that there was some heavy accumulation in the elbow that goes into the T of the liner. I must have had a fairly decent draft leak. So I go to pull the pieces of stove pipe apart and ended up mangling them to the point where I couldn't use them again. So, I eat supper and then Son #1 and I head to town to pick up new pipe. By town, I mean 45 minutes each way. Well, I got home at ~9:30 and went to work. I used furnace cement from a tub (coarse, gritty stuff) and furnace cement from a tube (smooth like a caulk). I smeared it on the crimps and then went back over the seams once I got it all together. I also added a hose clamp over area where the stove pipe goes into the liner snout. Then I pushed a bunch of door gasket material in between the liner snout and the masonary chimney (I don' t know why I waited this long, but it's done now). Finally, I tweaked the door on the front as it was off a little on the sides and I wanted it centered better on the gasket (I know it's anal, but I had the time). So now I'm getting ready to make a new fire since the hour cure time for the cement is probably up. Here's hoping I took care of the draft leaks. I actually think I had some bad pipe right from the get go.

I hate it when jobs go like that, but they often do. Good news is you'll do it faster next time.

You skipped the part where you skinned a couple of knuckles. That right there is my trademark- I'd be bleeding and have creosote stuck in the cut but not notice until the wife pointed out the mess I was making. A smarter man would wear gloves.

ikessky said:
So, I eat supper and then Son #1..........

You should really find a different source of protein. :lol:

Glad to hear that the project ended in success.

"A smarter man would wear gloves".......................The story of my life.

Man don't you just love those T's in a stove set-up. T for troubble :down:

Any cuts where sealed by furnace cement when reassembled the new pipe. That stuff really hurts to try to get out of a cut!

I also forgot to mention that I started the fire and then quickly realized that I hadn't opened any of the windows so I got the lovely "new pipe burn" smell in the house.

I came upstairs after sweeping and struggling with the old piping just covered in soot. My wife was standing in the kitchen, so I looked at her and said, "Wanna play chimney sweep?" ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.