Cleaning qustion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jt8769594

Jan 6, 2017
Wisconsin up north.
In my outside. Wood boiler I have about 8 to 10" of bernt wood and ash. To get the best heat is it better to clean most of the ash out?. I clean as much ash I can but leave the rest to start the fire on the wood I put in its easer that way.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

The ash serves as an insulator to keep the coals hot during the off cycle so I wouldn't clean the firebox completely out. How much ash to leave would depend on the model and how the air is introduced into the firebox. You don't want to choke off your draft. A few inches is usually about right.

The only exception is during the summer if you shut down you'd want to clean it out more thoroughly and perhaps coat with oil if it's a mild steel firebox (stainless is more forgiving about moisture).